Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work problems and Job Hopping too Much

Options
  • 25-02-2021 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Im getting a bit concerned about my work situation. I started in a role this time last year, however, training was delayed due to the pandemic and I worked from home. Due to the lack of training when I started, my manager got me involved in some project work, which I agreed to do, as I didnt want to be idle and I wanted to make a good impression however it is a type of job where you need on the job training to gain a full knowledge of what is involved so I did the best I could with it. My manager told me as soon as I got on site I would be treated as if it was day 1 with regards to training, however this doesnt seem to be happening.

I eventually got on site approx 4 months ago and my training has started albeit its still slow. However, The thing now is I feel that the company are getting me to do tasks without adequate training and im getting lost and slightly confused in the role. Im feeling quite stretched at times now as my manager wants me to complete the projects that I started last year, without training, while continuing my core - on the job training aswell. I thought when Id start, my core training would take priority until I got competant at what I am supposed to be doing, however, Im feeling overwhelmed by it all now and Im finding it a little unfair as I need the training to understand fully the projects I am involved with. In some projects I feel completely out of my depth as my knowledge isnt strong enough. To top this off she is pushing me to present my work to managers and high level individuals within the company which is making me apprehensive.

There is very little onsite support from what Im doing. While my colleagues are nice they havent the time to deal with the projects Im doing or spend time with me to complete training. Between the projects, training and other work I feel like Im being pulled in four different directions. I feel management are pushing me too much and Ive only really started. I just want to get my core training complete and to get competant at my job which Im struggling to get to terms with at the moment, however I know they wont drop the extra projects.

Im thinking of leaving for another role, however, I have already done quite a few career moves in recent years and I dont feel I want to take on another. Im beginning to feel like a serial career mover at this stage with 5 job moves in the last 6 years. However it looks like it is going to continue like this in my current role and I dont know what to do, Is the last 4 months a sign of what is to come, I feel really unhappy about it but Im also getting concerned now about where my career is going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op
    The thing now is I feel that the company are getting me to do tasks without adequate training and im getting lost and slightly confused in the role. Im feeling quite stretched at times now as my manager wants me to complete the projects that I started last year, without training, while continuing my core - on the job training aswell

What is missing from your post is what happened next, when you had a frank one to one meeting with your manager and discussed how you feel, about the perceived lack of support and training, the work load, & asked about supports available to you. To know how he reacts to this is the key. Its very important that you do speak up. in fact its one of your key responsibilities as a project very easily be delayed and and go over budgets as a result if you keep that risk to yourself.

if they offer additional supports, take your points on board and try to assist you, then you are in a good workplace. If they dont care and just expect you to figure it out yourself, after you have brought this to theor attention, and followed it up with an email to memorialise, then perhaps its not the workplace you wish it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

Its tricky because you need mentoring but you dont want to come across as incompetent. If I was you I would talk to my boss and explain that youre learning a lot and youre grateful for the job, but that youd love a buddy to mentor you on certain bits - someone you can go to to ask questions - just for the first 3 months in the job. If he can point a person to be your mentor then that person knows its his/her job to guide you.

Also, if possible, go on Google and see if you can find answers each day after you reach a part thats not making sense. And dont be afraid to ask questions to people around you. make friends with someone who is a little more advanced than you so you can lean on them a little. Take the initiative to learn on your own if the training isnt sufficient/perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

FionMc wrote: »
    Its tricky because you need mentoring but you dont want to come across as incompetent. If I was you I would talk to my boss and explain that youre learning a lot and youre grateful for the job, but that youd love a buddy to mentor you on certain bits - someone you can go to to ask questions - just for the first 3 months in the job. If he can point a person to be your mentor then that person knows its his/her job to guide you.

I have actually done this. I have asked if I could buddy up with someone so that I can work in tandem with them but its of no avail. The problem is its a small enough operation. There is seven people on my team and we lost one person late last year. That person was meant to buddy up with me but unfortunately that did not happen. What seems to have happened is that due to covid and one colleague leaving nobody wanted to train me, as they were all too busy which is what happened for 7 months, then when I got onsite after lockdown the training was not coordinated at all and its all a bit haphazard.

Im feeling at this stage however that the role may not be for me and this is despite whats going on with regards to the 7 month delay and now what I can only say is haphazard training. When I took on the role last March it was quite a departure from what my experience was at the time and Im feeling that it wasnt perhaps the best decision to make. What felt like a good move then just doesnt feel like it now, and I am feeling like I should return to what I am more experienced at. The problem with this is that I have done a number of moves already and Im feeling its beginning to reflect badly on me, that Im unsettled and its sort of showing. Somebody told me - dont setlle until your happy but all the moving in my career is beginning to catch up on me. Im naturally shy and quiet but this role is demanding a lot more people skills and public speaking than my previous role and it I am finding this aspect difficult. I prefer a role where I can do my job without requiring to do a presentation or public speaking regularly - I understand that I cant totally escape it. My manager has caught on to my shyness too and she is beginning to push me but Im feeling it is all a bit too much for me, hence the extra work on top of my core training. Lets just say she isnt easing me into the job to let me get on top of things which is making me very uneasy. In previous places I have worked in your eased in to the role and made feel competent until you start something new. Im already being pushed into management meetings, it feels like a baptism of fire now and its difficult to keep on top of things.

I know I have to satisfy myself but all the moving around has caught up with me but I dont really know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

On the public speaking / presentation. If you're in a city, there should be a Toastmasters group. It's a great way to get comfortable speaking in front of people in a safe feeling environment. I was a pretty nervous person speaking in front of people until a postgrad I did forced me into constantly doing presentations.

Advertisement