Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Best way to remove lime from car paint

• 25-02-2021 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭ NuckChorris1

Hi. I've had my MGB GT in storage in an underground car park whilst getting my garage at home sorted out. When the weather was really bad a couple of weeks ago water dripped through the concrete building and onto the car bonnet. There's a car valet operating near the car and I spoke to the guy there who said he saw it happening and wished he was able to call me. He'd had it drip on to a car's windscreen and he was able to scrap it off with a blade but for my car it'd be a bodyshop job to fix it. He said it would need a wet or damp sanding I think. I've had a look online and it seems to be a common enough thing with some advising different acids (white vinegar was one) they'd use and wipe slowly on it.

Any one have any recommendations or experience with this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ Type 17

Vinegar is a very mild acid, and won’t damage the paint, but will take a while to work (but is safer than more aggressive acids, like formic acid, which is used as a kettle descaler).
    Soak a piece of toilet paper in vinegar and lay it over the deposit. Remove it every so often and wipe away the softened top layer with a cloth, to expose fresh deposit (do NOT rub or scrub the area). You’ll need to keep adding more vinegar/changing the toilet roll, as it and the deposit are neutralising each other in the removal process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭ NuckChorris1

Brilliant! Thank you!

Advertisement