Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any downtime when switching OpenEir providers?

Options
  • 25-02-2021 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I've currently got Vodafone FTTH via the OpenEir network, but would like to change to either Eir or Pure when the contract is up. I'm getting mixed messages from the providers about downtime when switching.

I've heard that the 'line' need to be completely cancelled from the current/old provider before the new provider can setup a new line. Others providers have told me there is no downtime can you can just unplug one modem and install the new modem.

Has anyone been through this process, and can confirm if there is or isn't any downtime?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

As you've got no other answer...

AFAIK Vodafone use the own network (backhaul) to connect you to the internet,even when the use eircom FTTH. IF I'm correct there will be downtime, as re-wiring is required at the exchange side.

Maybe someone who works in the area can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Worst that might happen is you are down for a few minutes - assuming everything goes smoothly...but it should seamless

OE will just basically transfer everything over to the new provider

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

From OpenEIRs end, it's instant. It happens the day after the order is processed.

What your new provider does .. is another matter.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

Just signed up to pure and they told me it will take a week or so to go through somehow. But they told me there should be no downtime. Other than that I moved from Vodafone to sky and it was instant. 0 downtime. Hopefully the same this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

That's reassuring, thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

Very old thread I know, but you or someone else might know the answer. Is there any rewiring involved? Not sure what its called but with the original Vodafone instillation a small white box was wired in (not the router, not sure what you call it), but will that remain when I move to Sky and I just swap out the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rewiring for LLU etc only applied to legacy copper services. The switch is 100% digital, a new config is pushed to your virtual port and thats IT. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rpg

Old thread I know but useful information within! I’m aware that the switch between OpenEir network providers is 100% digital assuming the service you’re switching from is still active.

Does anyone know if it still applies if the service is coming from the same provider? ie Sky are supplying previous occupant, and new occupant wants to stick with Sky as cheapest currently on OpenEir network.

Previous occupant has cancelled with 30 days notice, but if left to run out, the connection will be disconnected and an engineer “installation” will most likely be required (further delays).

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

When providers place orders they have two options. New Order or Switching Order.

Switch is the quickest way. Provider A contacts Provider B and smoothly switches you over without interruption within 7 days remotely. Not possible to you because you don't want to switch to another provider.

New order is a wild card. It can arrange engineer visit but it can also simply post equipment and activate remotely. It might go through fine or can also fail because of existing active connection if ports are full in the area.

I have helped my family members order broadband many times. For me personally engineer had to come in even though I already had the sockets installed. For my aunt they simply posted out modem and gave the date when it will go live. Both were new orders. So I don't know how they judge it.

Advertisement