Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groupset Availability?

Options
  • 24-02-2021 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a new disc groupset - Ultegra or maybe Rival. There seems to be zero availability anywhere. I've tried all the usual suspects with no luck. Has anyone come across any?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Supply issues that have been fairly well documented for the last few months now. Some say they'll be back in stock end of March though.

Only stuff I'm finding is the pricey stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Same here. Stupidly ordered a frame without even checking on groupset availability! Just assumed id get one but no joy, have found a few places with ultegra di2 in stock but all at very high prices, nothing in the normal sort of price range, some of the German websites suggest availability in June for pre order now....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was speaking to someone recently, who is involved in the importation/distribution of bikes/components. He told me that there will be problems with the availability of groupsets for the next six months, at least, particularly Shimano.

C3PO wrote: »
    Looking to buy a new disc groupset - Ultegra or maybe Rival. There seems to be zero availability anywhere. I've tried all the usual suspects with no luck. Has anyone come across any?

Have wasted a few hours looking at this... So it seems groupsets are not widely available, sometimes due to crankset and shifters, but all of the individual components are available if you buy in bits and pieces.... Obviously not as good value but it'll get you a groupset...

On shimano, does anyone have any links to good guides on compatibility??

I am trying to get a di2 ultegra group with rim brakes. I have Rim Brakes already.... I have chains, sprockets etc... All standard 11 speed...

Can I use an old 10 speed ultegra crankset (6700)?? Just as a stop gap until supply is better??

I know I need 8050 /electronic front and rear dérailleurs, and shifters, and various junction boxes and cables.... But are there any old school mechanical bits I can put in there for the time being.??

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭dom_1000

I have used a 10 speed sram crankset with a 11 speed force with no issues at all.

I imagine it should be similar with shimano. Worth a try.

• Advertisement

Shimano will be making an announcement soon about the introduction of a new 12 speed DuraAce groupset, which will probably include a wireless option.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Shimano will be making an announcement soon about the introduction of a new 12 speed DuraAce groupset, which will probably include a wireless option.

Not sure if for my info, but will be way beyond what I'm willing to justify spending.

What's the trickle down timeline to ultegra? A year or two?

Any general rules around mixing and matching dura ace and ultegra di2? I don't plan to, but if I end up buying a groupset in individual components it would be handy to know if I've any options to mix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think that Di2 is quite easy to mix and match - you can even use mtb with some groupsets

Here's more information about the New DuraAce groupset

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/new-shimano-dura-ace-what-do-we-know-so-far/

The new DuraAce wheels were apparently trialled in last year's TdF, unlabelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TerryDi2Center

Not sure if for my info, but will be way beyond what I'm willing to justify spending.

What's the trickle down timeline to ultegra? A year or two?

Any general rules around mixing and matching dura ace and ultegra di2? I don't plan to, but if I end up buying a groupset in individual components it would be handy to know if I've any options to mix

Like CantGetNoSleep said, you can pretty much mix everything you like. There are two things to be aware of:

- All installed derailleurs must be either both 10 speed or both 11 speed
    - All installed derailleurs must be either both MTB or both road/GRX

There are compatibility charts here that'll tell you what will and won't work. If you can't figure it out just let us know ;-)
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/e-tube/project/compatibility.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement