Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's up me pole??

Options
  • 24-02-2021 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I've got slow ass broadband, "live" cabinets all around me. No company will bring it in. Any idea what sort of broadband is on the pole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,526 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

wex96 wrote: »
    I've got slow ass broadband, "live" cabinets all around me. No company will bring it in. Any idea what sort of broadband is on the pole?

ADSL?

What does it say here - https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

The Cush wrote: »
    ADSL?

What does it say here - https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

VDSL available.
    Here's a pic of what's on the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Large black box at the very top is a ftth box

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Black box is FTTH just depends how close you are to it.

Pop your eircode into here www.nbi.ie does your address show as being in the intervention area or is it marked red?

If red, you will need to email the address they provide. A friend of mine was in a similar situation, FTTH outside his house, marked as outside of the IA. He has since been connected by Eir to FTTH.

joe123 wrote: »
    Black box is FTTH just depends how close you are to it.

Pop your eircode into here www.nbi.ie does your address show as being in the intervention area or is it marked red?

If red, you will need to email the address they provide. A friend of mine was in a similar situation, FTTH outside his house, marked as outside of the IA. He has since been connected by Eir to FTTH.

Yep it's red.. someone else's problem!!!.

• Advertisement

Yep it's red.. someone else's problem!!!.

How far is that FTTH box/pole from your house? If its literally a stones throw I'd suspect you will be in a similar position as my friend. He emailed the crowd mentioned. A few months later they contacted him to let him know he should now be able to order Fibre.

If OpenEir cant connect you for whatever reason, then you will likely just be added to the NBI rollout.

One other thing to mention would be, do Virgin service your area? They would be the only other reason you are showing as not being included in IA.

How far is that FTTH box/pole from your house? If its literally a stones throw I'd suspect you will be in a similar position as my friend. He emailed the crowd mentioned. A few months later they contacted him to let him know he should now be able to order Fibre.

If OpenEir cant connect you for whatever reason, then you will likely just be added to the NBI rollout.

One other thing to mention would be, do Virgin service your area? They would be the only other reason you are showing as not being included in IA.

It's across the road. We are with virgin, was in Twitter chat, they say copper only available, then when asked we're told "still not communicated yet"
    Emailed (again) customer service nbp.
    Some pain in the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's across the road. We are with virgin, was in Twitter chat, they say copper only available, then when asked we're told "still not communicated yet"
    Some pain in the pole.

Virgin won't resell that FTTH product, only their own (not on poles).

Just wait and watch the Airwire checker.

Some pain in the pole.

If you are with Virgin, you should be getting Cable. The speeds you provided look to be basic copper through your phone line. So it could be a case FTTH just isn't available but Virgin is.

If Virgin are able to provide you cable then they will be your only chance until FTTH is activated for you.

Either way you should try contacting Airwire or Digiweb. You've a much better chance of speaking with someone who knows what is and what isn't available to you than the big companies like Eir and Vodafone who wont have a clue and just read from a template.

I personally wouldn't just sit on it anyways as my buddy was in a similar scenario (minus the Virgin availability) Houses left and right all FTTH and not included in the National Rollout. He now has the full 1 gig after getting on to some folk. And yes Sky etc were all saying to him at the time "only speeds of 7Mb are available".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

We are with virgin

If you are with Virgin, why are you doing speedtests on an Eir internet connection ?

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    If you are with Virgin, why are you doing speedtests on an Eir internet connection ?

/M
    Probably because eir own all the telephone cables 🀔

Probably because eir own all the telephone cables 🀔

OpenEir own the phone cables.

Eir is just one operator on the network. But going by that you are an Eir customer, not a virgin customer.

Virgin use cable tv for their service. Not phone lines.

/M

I'm a sky tv customer with virgin broadband and phone line. no eir in this house. just shows how ****e my connections are....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I'm a sky tv customer with virgin broadband and phone line. no eir in this house. just shows how ****e my connections are....

If you are a virgin media customer then the poles and eir lines into the house have nothing to do with your broadband. What virgin media package are you on? Could you post a pic of the router? And a screenshot of a speed test? Does the wifi connection you are connecting to begin with VM*******. Your router will be plugged into a box on the wall that either says NTL, UPC or Virgin media on it

Thanks, router is a vodafone HG659, not sure which package I'm on. speed test below.

https://bonkers.speedtestcustom.com/result/1687f7c0-77a9-11eb-80e9-d705d1653915

Can't find any connection starting with VM.. Router plugged into standard telephone socket

https://bonkers.speedtestcustom.com/result/1687f7c0-77a9-11eb-80e9-d705d1653915
    Router is a hg659 plugged into telephone socket.
    No sign of anything related to VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

We are with virgin
    No sign of anything related to VM

:confused:

Sounds like you need to give Virgin a ring. Did they ever send you out equipment?

You've sort of answered your own question. You cant find anything related to Virgin Media, you're connected to the phone line & its Vodafone :confused:

Sounds like you need to give Virgin a ring. Did they ever send you out equipment?

You've sort of answered your own question. You cant find anything related to Virgin Media, you're connected to the phone line & its Vodafone :confused:

And previous speedtests in this thread were on Eir ... and he doesn't know what package he's on.

None of the posts here make sense. What does it say on the bill you're paying ? (Not you Joe .. the op).

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PEBCAK.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    PEBCAK.

Commonly also referred to as Error 40.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭CoBo55

This is worth following:pac::pac:

Sorry Karen, my bad. We've got Vodafone pstn bundle (phone+broadband).
    Vodafone router that's plugged into phone socket.
    I don't know why Ookla speed test put eir in their speed test🤔.
    Thanks for all the advice as always😁👊

I don't know why Ookla speed test put eir in their speed test🤔.

Is your mobile maybe Eir or GoMo ? And you did the speedtest using your data and not the Vodafone connection.

I mean .. when you started the thread, you were talking about Virgin. That's an entire different kettle of fish.

/M

Can only assume here the OP has mistakenly mixed up Virgin and Vodafone?

And possibly ran their initial speed test off of mobile data hence the Eir speed test at the beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Can only assume here the OP has mistakenly mixed up Virgin and Vodafone?

And possibly ran their initial speed test off of mobile data hence the Eir speed test at the beginning?

Was the initial speed test deleted from the thread? The more recent one he posted was Vodafone.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Was the initial speed test deleted from the thread? The more recent one he posted was Vodafone.

It was in the first post, which has been edited since.

/M

Sorry I mistakenly thought the speed test would use my broadband connection on the mobile����. Second and most recent is from the PC. Any ways any idea how I get FTTH TO THE BLOODY HOUSE��

Sorry I mistakenly thought the speed test would use my broadband connection on the mobile����. Second and most recent is from the PC. Any ways any idea how I get FTTH TO THE BLOODY HOUSE��

check if you are listed for FTTH on http://airwire.ie/avail

If you are, then you should be able to order that from any OpenEIR partner .. even Vodafone.

If you are not, keep checking, until it gets listed. Try also check neighbouring houses on that checker, in case yours just has been left out.

It can take some time from when the DP goes up, until it's live. Sometimes 3-6 months.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

OP, sign up for Starlink if you can afford it.

Advertisement