Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir F2000 connected to second router causing Android app issues

Options
  • 23-02-2021 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

I have Eir Fibre which has been great - I have a Cat 6 shielded cable running from the Eir F2000 router to the garage - which is a separate building about 50m away.

Connected the Cat 6 cable in the garage into an old Eir router which I am using as a bridge to bring wifi to the shed. I have the Cat 6 cable going into one of the 6 free lan ports. This router doesn't have a WLAN port like the F2000 router has.

Basically it seems to work fine in the shed using my MacBook and indeed using my iPhone - however back in the house devices running Android apps are not working with the router in the shed connected. When I look more closely these android devices - tried it on a tablet and a phone, and both connecting to the internet and I can get google but for some reason can't get any apps working on them. My Xbox also isn't connecting properly either.

Any idea what I need to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Casati wrote: »
    This router doesn't have a WLAN port like the F2000 router has.

You might wanna read that label again
    Any idea what I need to do?

Turn off DHCP on the 2nd unit. Your problems will go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

Thanks for that - any advise on how to access the modem? I have reset it but it still won't accept the original wireless password as the admin password.

i.e. I can connect it to the laptop using the wireless key and it accepts it, but it won't accept the wireless key as a the admin password - even though I reset it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

i.e. I can connect it to the laptop using the wireless key and it accepts it, but it won't accept the wireless key as a the admin password - even though I reset it
    Most likely connecting to main router interface as both router IP's match after reset.

1.Disconnect 2nd router from you network completely.
    2.Disable WiFi on laptop.
    3.Connect laptop directly to 2nd router LAN port over Ethernet cable.
    4.Once reset, access 2nd router by its default IP (usually 192.168.1.1, see label).
    5.Configure 2nd router, ensure save/apply setting after each change:
    a.Set static IP on LAN to be in same net as your 1st router, if 1st is 192.168.1.1, set 2nd router 192.168.1.250.
    b.Adjust WiFi settings on 2nd router as needed.
    c.Disable DHCP (and DHCPv6 if present) on 2nd router.
    6.Connect 2nd router to your home network. Enable WiFi on laptop
    7.Verify functionality.

Most likely connecting to main router interface as both router IP's match after reset.

1.Disconnect 2nd router from you network completely.
    2.Disable WiFi on laptop.
    3.Connect laptop directly to 2nd router LAN port over Ethernet cable.
    4.Once reset, access 2nd router by its default IP (usually 192.168.1.1, see label).
    5.Configure 2nd router, ensure save/apply setting after each change:
    a.Set static IP on LAN to be in same net as your 1st router, if 1st is 192.168.1.1, set 2nd router 192.168.1.250.
    b.Adjust WiFi settings on 2nd router as needed.
    c.Disable DHCP (and DHCPv6 if present) on 2nd router.
    6.Connect 2nd router to your home network. Enable WiFi on laptop
    7.Verify functionality.

Thanks a million - I'll give all that a go right away

Thanks a million - I'll give all that a go right away

The IP address on the primary modem is 192.168.1.254 which is exactly the same as that in my second D1000 modem - does that make any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

The IP address on the primary modem is 192.168.1.254 which is exactly the same as that in my second D1000 modem - does that make any difference?
    There cannot be same IP's on net
    as 1st is 192.168.1.254, set 2nd as 192.168.1.253

Advertisement