Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone porting disaster

Options
  • 23-02-2021 8:06pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to port my telephone number, along with my Siro connection, from Vodafone to Pure Telecom. I was already out of contract at this stage. I advised them I would be leaving, and that I didn't want to cancel my service immediately, but retain it only as long as required for my other provider to take over.

The other provider has been able to take over the broadband service, but Vodafone say I "agreed" to a 30 day wait! I have a recording of the call, where I clearly stated I only wanted for as long as it took to another provider.

Anyone been in this boat? I am completely without a phone service right now, and they said they won't hand it over to the end of the month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So is Vodafone blocking you from porting the phone number ?

Or is it, that they want to bill you for another 30 days for the phone number ?

Here's the catch with Vodafone: when you port a number or broadband connection out, unless you gave them 30 days notice before porting the product out, they'll charge you the 30 days after porting out ... even though you don't get service from them anymore.

The 30 day notice thing is in the terms and conditions somewhere.

So if it's just a billing issue ... you're out of luck, I'm afraid.

If it's an issue to port the number ... that's a different problem.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I would complain to ComReg about that. The moving between networks is supposed to be a smooth process to ensure a competitive market.

I would complain to ComReg about that. The moving between networks is supposed to be a smooth process to ensure a competitive market.

Ahahaah .. you don't even know half of it, when it comes to "bundled" lines products as part of regulated Comreg pricing agreements/products.

It's an utter nightmare. Even for the operator porting the line to them.

It will however sort itself out with the copper phonelines disappearing and all being replaced with VoIP, so they are technically completely independent from the broadband connection. Just a matter of a few years of natural product progression.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

We did a port without POTS / PSTN from Eir with VOIP phone to Digiweb with the same and it was more or less instant. Eir service went down on their router, plugged Fritzbox in and it was working for both broadband and voice.

The return of the router to Eir didn’t go smoothly though. They billed us for it even though it was returned.

We did a port without POTS / PSTN from Eir with VOIP phone to Digiweb with the same and it was more or less instant. Eir service went down on their router, plugged Fritzbox in and it was working for both broadband and voice.

That's what I'm referring to. If you're on the Voip + broadband service, it's seemless.

If you're on the Pots + broadband service, then help you god, that the provider, that is porting you at least have half a clue and expect 1-2 days outage on your inbound calls. If not .. you're stuffed.
    The return of the router to Eir didn’t go smoothly though. They billed us for it even though it was returned.

Eh ..... well .. ... I won't even go there.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mine is Siro. I've gotten onto comreg, and they've given me advice in regard to what to do, but at this stage, it seems I'll just have to wait until the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Notmything

MarkR wrote: »
    Mine is Siro. I've gotten onto comreg, and they've given me advice in regard to what to do, but at this stage, it seems I'll just have to wait until the end of the month.

I ported my phone service from Vodafone. Before I did so I confirmed I did not need to give 30 days notice.

Advertisement