Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiga CD32 and Terrible Fire not working

Options
  • 23-02-2021 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

I bought a TF years ago on ebay and could never get it to work properly. I'd connect it up and get the normal CD32 splash screen through the Video out on the Terrible Fire. It had A CF drive installed with WHDload and it never loaded up. This card was also provided by the seller. He asked me to send it back to test and said it worked - he returned it to me and told me my CD32 needed to be recapped. He seemed legit as he gave me a partial refund for my trouble.

I had completely forgotten about it until I stumbled across it last week. Is he right do I need to get my CD32 recapped or is there another reason it doesn't work on my CD32?

Any light shed on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Could be a recapping required though that tends to display itself more through video and audio issues than boot issues, but never say never. Recapping wouldn't be a bad idea for any Amiga at this point in any case. Unfortunately it's an almost default response for anyone having issues with Amigas at the point.

Does the CD32 boot CDs fine with/without the CF card installed ?

As long as the image is OK and the console boots normally, I would probably look at the pin connection with the CF card as a kick off, then the adaptor/cable used as they can easily get damaged. Expansion slot itself that the TF goes into could be worth a look as well. Quite common to have intermittent boot issues if that is a bit janky, that might make it appear that the add on is nonfunctional.
    FWIW....I've chucked more than a few CFs out down the years. If the lad said it worked fine than that's fair enough, but that's assuming it was checked. A lot of these sellers would just be imaging by the bucket load.

Possible the TF itself itself is at fault, but best to start with the obvious which I'm sure you already have so apologies if I'm repeating stuff you've looked into. Best of luck.
    Worth the recapping in any case regardless just to preserve the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

The CD32 boots fine without the Terrible fire installed. I bought it from ebay.uk - the seller asked me to send it back and he said he checked it thoroughly with the CF card and gave me a substantial refund while standing by it - so I tend to think it works based on that. I guess it needs a recap - couldn't find anyone in Ireland to do my A600 so it is currently in England at Retropassion. Once I get that back I might send the CD32 and ask them to check it over after it has been recapped.

Advertisement