Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sixth Year Mocks

Options
  • 23-02-2021 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Just wondering what schools are doing in relation to 6th year mocks, is your school holding them or not if schools return next week?

We had an online assembly this morning with 6th years and majority of them are against doing them. I do see the value of them but am reluctant to lose two weeks of class teaching time which I plan to utilise for the completion of History Research topics.

Just looking for opinions, what other schools are doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pringles123

We are holding them. I am not even sure if students opinion was taken. Id say many students would be against them even if there was no pandemic....im glad they're being done in the school if im honest! Gives us something to work off and tells me what needs revising!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

No update on our mocks yet but I foresee them being ran between now and Easter. Possibly with a mock paper cobbled from previous exam papers and we'll be correcting them ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I think we'l be cobbling together too and we have corrected our own for 10 years so that part will be no great change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

Ours were cancelled weeks ago. Hard to imagine the time there to justify them. Running them for a couple of weeks as normal would nearly take up a quarter of the remaining time.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Our school has decided not to hold mocks in the traditional way but instead has asked teachers to give students the equivalent of a mock paper, broken down over a number of classes.

The reason our Principal opted for this was that she could not justify them missing another 2 weeks teaching when they have missed so much already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

I think any of the students sitting the regular exam would need a sense of how things go. So from that point of view mocks are necessary, also when you get your mocks grade you might have more of an indication as to what way your predicted/actual grade might go.

But if it's a student who's not pushed about sitting the real exams or not too pressured for points, then maybe it would be in their best interest NOT to reveal how bad they actually are to a teacher :pac:

I know a few students like this who were borderline pass for certain subject, so I know their teacher wont be seeing them again, mocks or no mocks. They might show up to a few classes and make a token effort and take the pass grade and be on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

Jane98 wrote: »
    Our school has decided not to hold mocks in the traditional way but instead has asked teachers to give students the equivalent of a mock paper, broken down over a number of classes.

The reason our Principal opted for this was that she could not justify them missing another 2 weeks teaching when they have missed so much already.

This would probably be my preferred option at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

I'll certainly be using the Mock or some Mock I can access from DEB in their archives, in order to arrive at an AG. I'll give them bits of the paper over a week or so ie a note one day/diary entry the next/email/comprehension the following week. ( I teach MFL). I'd also like to examine them on their Roleplays. We've spent ages on them and even the weaker ones know them so it would be easy marks for them. Wonder can I do that?? If they're not taking the written exam I mean. I doubt any of mine will.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

We're holding the mocks over one week the week before Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    We're holding the mocks over one week the week before Easter

I was going to suggest we do this too, think it's the best compromise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Same here, makes sense. Run them off quickly then they have the relative break of easter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I was going to suggest we do this too, think it's the best compromise
    Same here, makes sense. Run them off quickly then they have the relative break of easter

Don't forget the orals are to take place over Easter holidays - where would the teacher or students get to put that last bit of prep in?

Advertisement