Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet cables / wifi extender question

Options
  • 22-02-2021 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I have cat5e cables running from my modem in my bedroom to two other rooms in the house. When I got the house rewired about eight years ago I got them to run the cables if i ever needed them.
    I never used the cables since , but one of the rooms has very bad wifi signal , I have been looking up different ways of extending wifi, power line adaptors to mesh etc
    Could someone answer this simple question , what would be the best way for me to extend my wifi signal in the said room baring in mind I already have an ethernet cable running to the room, what product or extender do I need?
    I am guessing I might aswell utilise the ethernet cable to extend the wifi signal instead of going wireless?
    See pic of ethernet wall plate/ access point

https://ibb.co/G7sM7k3

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

You have a couple of choices, going either the Access Point(AP) route or WiFi Mesh route. Either should work. As you already have a wired connection available, the AP route might be the simpler one. Check out Ubiquity products.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thanks, how does the access point work? Is it another router ?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Pangea wrote: »

No need for another router.

The access points use your ISP router, and just provide WiFi. Some also provide an additional Ethernet port if you want to connect a wired device. Ubiquiti Unifi is good, because you can power it POE over your Cat5 cabling - so no need for a power connection at each AP. It is also a "mesh" system - although they don't hype this. This means that all APs in your home network will seamlessly handover between each other and appear as one. Ideally, you should switch off the WiFi in your ISP modem, and install another AP beside it, giving you seamless coverage throughout your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I attached a second, old unused, router to the remote socket and that became the access point for that room and area of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Pangea wrote: »

No not a router, a specific piece of hardware meant to bridge a wired connection to a wireless one efficiently. You can use a router in AP mode if it supports it, but an AP will always work that bit better due to it's designed functionality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement