Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All my ads are in Chinese

Options
  • 22-02-2021 6:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

You know the way people say ads are targetted to your browsing history- well I am a bit bemused here because any adverts that appear on boards threads I read for the past week at least are completely in Chinese. No English words at all.
    I did not pay much attention at first as I am nearly blind to ads. The cute "creatures in colourful jumpers" leaping about the place adverts were a little amusing and eye catching around Christmas, but they are the only ones I recall noticing before and I have no idea what they were advertising. But now I am completely at sea with a full on assemblage of indecipherable logograms and sincere looking Chinese visages peering out at me from a range of different ads. I have not been browsing how to subvert the CCP, I promise.

In short, why the pinyin for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

The ad algorithm is targeting the person who uses your computer the most. Apparently that someone speaks Chinese. Fancy that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Oink wrote: »
    The ad algorithm is targeting the person who uses your computer the most. Apparently that someone speaks Chinese. Fancy that.

But it is my phone and only I use it. Maybe it is malware?

Above that post I was offered a toilet for 12000 renminbi. Is that a bargain? It is a bit ordinary looking though, but maybe I should flow with this as an opportunity :)

Thats 1525 euro!! Get outta here!

Gruffalux wrote: »
    But it is my phone and only I use it.

You crack me up...

• Advertisement

You crack me up...

:confused: Something is going right over my head here...I don't like that feeling :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Are you using a vpn?

:confused: Something is going right over my head here...I don't like that feeling :pac:

I was laughing at your claim that you’re the only one using your phone. Your phone was made in China, where it was set up with the correct amount of spyware. They must feel that you’re ready for the next step. Soon enough you will find that you understand a couple of words here and there. Then you will grow angry at our capitalist society. Don’t fight it, just let it flow through you.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Are you using a vpn?

No. Although I had an advert on Youtube recently for a seemingly good VPN service which is tempting. I use ghostery but have for years without any Chinese invasion.

Check your google preferences.

• Advertisement

I was laughing at your claim that you’re the only one using your phone. Your phone was made in China, where it was set up with the correct amount of spyware. They must feel that you’re ready for the next step. Soon enough you will find that you understand a couple of words here and there. Then you will grow angry at our capitalist society. Don’t fight it, just let it flow through you.

Well maybe it's a compliment that I am a quick study :D but they can shag off with their grand and a half very ordinary toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Eldudeson

It's been happening on my phone for some ads as well. Not every one but enough that it stands out. Usually as part of a game ad!

I assumed it was a glitch from Wish or some other Chinese cheapo site!

The fact that it's a Huawei is now making me think :eek:

Eldudeson wrote: »
    It's been happening on my phone for some ads as well. Not every one but enough that it stands out. Usually as part of a game ad!

I assumed it was a glitch from Wish or some other Chinese cheapo site!

The fact that it's a Huawei is now making me think :eek:

Dun Dun Dun!! This is how it starts. First a couple, then more, then wall to wall indecipherable pinyin and offers of expensive toilets!! :eek:

It's no joke, i'm telling ya.

(I shouldn't be laughing - it is probably some terrible malware or virus.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

我們正在接管

Oh no! It's happening everywhere now.

One of the reasons Oink threw me is one of my children speaks and translates Chinese but they haven't been home in over a year. :D:D So I was like, what...??...is it getting to me through them just because we whatsapp..? I hasten to add we do not speak in Chinese with each other. I am far too stupid for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

快來找我們,很快有人就會得到沃爾帕爾的外p

Kimbot wrote: »
    我們正在接管

A google search of that term takes one to both the suggestions that the Chinese are taking over America BUT before that the Galactic Federation of Light is taking over and the Interstellar Foundation is about to be launched because the old system is collapsing. Maybe this is all because I am ascending. :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

The Chinese - a great bunch of ads.

...one of my children speaks and translates Chinese

My case in point. One of OP’s children has already transitioned. My guess is they will marry a Chinese citizen. In a couple of generations his seed will have assimilated into Chinese stock.

Fare thee well Gruffalux, prosper in your new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teabag1993

Perhaps it's a message from the capitalist forces of China. They need you to buy their pricey toilets so they can wage war against the evil communist forces and restore humanity, a free market and a very advanced public toilet service to Beijing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ronald Franz

You will get double the adverts now that you have opened a thread and mentioned the [specific country].

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Have they signed in as you into any google services?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP are you using mobile broadband? if so is your dongle made by Huawei ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,896 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Maybe you wear very long socks, and they know this guy has shy knees

Advertisement