Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing old light switch

Options
  • 21-02-2021 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭

Pic attached below. I’m taking out an old double light switch and replacing with a bog standard new one. Problem is, there’s no markings on the old one and the layout looks totally different. I’ve a good grasp on how to use a multimeter but no idea what to test for. And help would be appreciated please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Pic attached below. I’m taking out an old double light switch and replacing with a bog standard new one. Problem is, there’s no markings on the old one and the layout looks totally different. I’ve a good grasp on how to use a multimeter but no idea what to test for. And help would be appreciated please.

Can’t see to attach a pic with the original post. Here ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Wire the middle terminal to common terminal (C) on the new switch and join the two commons as is done here.

Then just wire the left terminal to L1 for each switch and the right terminal to L2 for bottom switch only (top switch has no L2). The bottom switch is wired 2 way so must be another switch point somewhere else or even more than one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

alan4cult wrote: »
    Wire the middle terminal to common terminal (C) on the new switch and join the two commons as is done here.

Then just wire the left terminal to L1 for each switch and the right terminal to L2 for bottom switch only (top switch has no L2). The bottom switch is wired 2 way so must be another switch point somewhere else or even more than one?

Yes the old left one also controls the upstairs landing

Advertisement