Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S-Works Roubaix SL4 value

Options
  • 21-02-2021 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not advertising this bike as I’m not sure I want to sell it. I just wanted an idea on what it’s worth if I did decide.

The frame is the 2015 model (Matt black with polish black details/branding) and I bought it 2 years ago from a lad in the UK who also bought it as a frame set but never built it up. It’s a 56cm frame. I built it with R8050 Di2 (50/34 crankset & 11/30 cassette, 172.5mm cranks) I fitted Fulcrum quattro carbon wheel set and Deda super zero finishing kit. I have ridden it a grand total of 347km since building it, mainly because I prefer my alloy Felt VR30.

Anyway the bike is like brand new and more or less mint, not a mark or scratch anywhere on it. It’s been hanging in the garage for the last year and I’m seriously considering selling but have no idea what it’s worth. It cost me approx €3000 to build to its current state. I’ll add a picture for reference below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This is the only one I have on my phone. The only thing it probably needs is tyres as the Gp4000’s are 3 years old and even though they have done very little mileage, I think they have been lying to long and would probably need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Very nice bike, always difficult as you are competing with new in that price range and personally I'd always just look for a new deal e.g. last year's model Roubaix (Di2 and disc but not the S Works one) pops up for 3500€.

Relatively few endurance type bikes still available with rim brakes so this could work in your favour. I'd probably advertise for 2300 but be prepared to take 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That's a beauty but wouldn't be a fan of those shock absorbing bits on the fork and seat stays. It might be worth more broken to be honest or at least offer two price points with a cheaper set of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭mvt

Super looking bike- Unfortunately too small for me.
    I rented the regular version with full ultigra in the Alps before & thought it was a fantastic bike to ride in quite challenging conditions.

A big plus as well that it is rim brakes too.

That Felt must be some bike to keep this one hanging in your shed :)

mvt wrote: »
    Super looking bike- Unfortunately too small for me.
    I rented the regular version with full ultigra in the Alps before & thought it was a fantastic bike to ride in quite challenging conditions.

A big plus as well that it is rim brakes too.

That Felt must be some bike to keep this one hanging in your shed :)

The Felt is an alloy bike with 105 groupset and a 46/30 chainset with 11/32 cassette which makes the Donegal hills so much easier. As it’s alloy and 5 yrs old now, it gets no love but takes any gods amounts of abuse and has never let me down. It’s also very comfortable and fits me so well. It’s just perfect for what I need. I would never and could never take the Roubaix on the pot holed back roads that I do most of my riding on. Last year I took it out a total of 6 times on dry Sumer days but only on the main roads. It really is a beautiful bike but wasted on me. I haven’t decided what to do with it yet.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That's a beauty but wouldn't be a fan of those shock absorbing bits on the fork and seat stays. It might be worth more broken to be honest or at least offer two price points with a cheaper set of wheels.

They’re more decoration in my opinion than functional. On earlier models the whole ‘zert’ piece formed an integral part of the seat stays and front fork but on the SL4 they’re more stuck on and I can’t see them offering huge amounts of shock absorption despite what they claim. It’s a very stiff bike, I had a Felt F4 previous which I thought was stiff but this bike is much more stiffer.

Weight wise it’s bang on 7.35kg including pedals, bottle cages and computer mount so would possibly be sub 7kg without the accessories for bragging rights.

• Advertisement

Assuming you don't either need the money or want to replace it with something, I'd keep it and not worry about the roads. That is a bike which was designed for the roughest cobblestones you can imagine.

Assuming you don't either need the money or want to replace it with something, I'd keep it and not worry about the roads. That is a bike which was designed for the roughest cobblestones you can imagine.

No I don’t need the money and if I did sell it I have no plans to replace it with anything. I am eligible for the BTW scheme this year and for the first time I have no interest in changing any of the bikes I have (have 3 road bikes and one hard tail 29er)

I know the Roubaix is built for exactly the type of roads I ride on but I just feel it’s far too good and I’d spend more time worrying about it getting damaged than enjoying it.

I will probably end up keeping it and just using it on the odd summer ride and sportives (if they ever get going again)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭mvt

Don't think on your deathbed you are going to be saying that I'm glad I left the roubaix hanging in the shed.

FWIT have done plenty of cycling in Donegal & would in a heartbeat use this bike .

Totally your decision but lifes too short to keep that bike hung up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have the same one.. specced with dura ace and some other nice bits. Hanging up. Replaced as a winter bike with a Giant TCR Pro because I thought I wanted Discs. Giant is a great bike for sure. But I rode that Roubaix everywhere - including at Roubaix in their sportif. I was going to sell the Roubaix (with Dura Ace 9100 mechanical and Bontrager Paradigm wheels, the top ones etc.. for 1500-1800) but honestly I am thinking of selling the Giant instead. The Roubaix SL4 Sworks won a lot.. it will always be iconic. And for whatever reason I was always good on it. Maybe because I bought it in a small size, put on one of those bouncy canyon split seat posts etc.. and its so comfy that I am in better shape for longer on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I have a mate (South Dublin based) shopping for a bike at the minute CJC if you fall on the sale side of the fence and come up with a price for it.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    I have a mate (South Dublin based) shopping for a bike at the minute CJC if you fall on the sale side of the fence and come up with a price for it.

Thanks. Chances are I won’t sell it as I’d probably end up regretting it if I did. I really just wanted an idea of what it was worth in case I did decide to sell. I should make more of an effort to use it more this year as it really is a shame that it’s just hanging there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

100, maybe 200. I'd be fair and give you 300*

*chances arm.

This is based on I think a vague recollection of a reddit thread were someone really didn't know the value of what they were selling and commuity took full advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Lovely bike with the prices of current used bikes you could probably sell it for a profit.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114552398034
    Heres a very similar bike that sold on auction on ebay uk for 1750£, so thats 2000€ for a quick sale basically
    So i say you could get maybe 2500 for it.

Cost him 3, so he's not exactly making a killing at 2 and a half... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Thanks. Chances are I won’t sell it as I’d probably end up regretting it if I did. I really just wanted an idea of what it was worth in case I did decide to sell. I should make more of an effort to use it more this year as it really is a shame that it’s just hanging there.

If you don't have to sell and it isn't taking up space, then why not get some use out of it, when you want. You are allowed to have nice things!

Think of it as a Ferrari type bike, for the odd spin when the weather is good or you just feel like it. I'd say a few people on here have a really nice bike that isn't their "every weekend" bike. Over recent years I was surprised to meet a number of people who have very, very expensive LOOK bikes and what not, with not a lot of use. They just enjoyed them when they could, but all had a go to regular bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You need at least 3 bikes.
    1: a winter bike. Alu frame with cheaper components, mudguards and lights

2: a nice bike for dry days. Can be whatever takes your fancy and use it for commuting and leisure spins.

3: a good bike. Like your specialized, this is for special occasions only! When is warm, dry and sunny, you only ride it wearing shorts and sunglasses!

So in short.... you need two more bikes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

07Lapierre wrote: »

2: a nice bike for dry days. Can be whatever takes your fancy and use it for commuting and leisure spins.

3: a good bike. Like your specialized, this is for special occasions only! When is warm, dry and sunny, you only ride it wearing shorts and sunglasses!

Ah here look, I've explained to my wife why I need 5 bikes, and I've ordered another...... 3 is not sufficient....

This is close to what I have - good bike has by far the lowest km, a gravel / winter bike, and an endurance / winter bike.

I was trying to explain why this is necessary to the wife and to be fair I didn't have any response when she asked "well what are the four other bikes then"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ah here look, I've explained to my wife why I need 5 bikes, and I've ordered another...... 3 is not sufficient....

Well I did say “at least” 3 bikes. ;)

I'd agree with that. Oil it up, wrap it in bubble wrap and put it out of sight in the attic. Pull it out this summer or even next summer and enjoy that new bike feeling for free. I have a good bike, a really good bike and a really really good bike. The third one might only see a month's riding in a year but it's always a treat to unwrap it and take it out for a spin on a beautiful sunny summer's day, park er up outside a cafe and admire it, and revel in other cyclists' admiration of it. It's not like bikes have reg plates or best before dates and an S-works of any vintage will always be an awesome machine to have and to ride.

• Advertisement

I already have 4 bikes so I’m close. Yeah I think I’ll just hold onto it for occasional Summer use.

My winter bike is also my every day bike, I fit mudguards and lights on it for winter and then take them off again around March/April regardless of it being wet or dry. I love the bike and happy to ride it all year around.

My other road bike is an alloy Cube Attain which is also such a nice bike. It spends the winter on the turbo and the summer in my mother in laws house for use when we visit (she lives beside the beach and so we visit regularly in summer)

Both my Felt and Cube road bikes fall into number 2 on your list. They’re nothing special but I really like them and enjoy riding them.

So it’s settled, the Roubaix is going to remain in the stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Not really relevant but I've the exact same bike, without the Di2, with cheap Chinese carbon wheels instead of Fullcrums . It's a great bike, better than both the Cube Attain & Canyon Al 7 that I have. My Cinelli Superstar is the only bike in my collection that betters it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement