Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winds

Options
  • 21-02-2021 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭

Hi

Need to stress here. I am a very casual cyclist :)

Went for a cycle the other day and on the way back encountered a head wind. Don’t know what the wind speed was that day, but since this have downloaded a handy app.

From a google, I see there are complicated mathematical equations for wind speed and power and watts etc etc

For the casual cyclist like me, what is considered a relatively easy head wind. 10km an hour or so?

For today, looking to cycle and I will encounter a roughly 20km an hour headwind on way home.

I do t have the off hand knowledge to know how much this will affect me.

I know a headwind will make me fitter etc but still, just wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I remember seeing a video where Chris Boardman was giving tips on how to ride in a headwind. The presenter was waiting for some tips on being more aero or something and his only advice was to ride slower, which I've remembered ever since. You are still putting in the effort and as long as you are not in a race, doesn't matter if you go a bit slower.

For a 20km wind, you will certainly notice it against you, but isn't that bad. Depends also on the terrain, open fields or more sheltered roads.

That being said, I religiously try to have a tailwind for the second part of my rides

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I like to think a strong headwind makes me fitter......but I don't think it outweighs the frustration and annoyance that it causes.
    Stay low, keep a steady rhythm and hope the road turns or the terrain offers some respite soon enough.
    I find any headwind above 7ms/25kmph 'uncomfortable' and - unless it is otherwise going to be lovely, will generally not go out on the bike if the wind is forecast to be 11ms/40kmph ....I'll find other things more worthy of my time to do!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it *has* been windy for the last week; the days i've been out (15th, 17th and 18th), it's been between 27 and 33km/h, so noticeably windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I always plan my cycles depending on wind direction so that I have a tailwind on the way home again. Makes life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Red is my way out and green is way back.

https://ibb.co/HBqbPTN

https://ibb.co/37f4rX5

From the free app tailwinds. Any other free apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I always plan my cycles depending on wind direction so that I have a tailwind on the way home again. Makes life easier.
    It's often better to do the opposite if you're interested in maximising distance/time. (Assuming pre/post lockdown), if you go out into a headwind, you'll tire easier and not go as far. Go out with a tailwind, you'll go further yet you'll have to return regardless of the headwind/fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sometimes depending the session I’ll seek a headwind for various intervals , it’s a form of self punishment!

For general endurance spins over 2hrs I’ll plan for a headwind home, anything less I don’t bother with planning for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are sails illegal to attach to bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,280 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

dahat wrote: »
    Sometimes depending the session I’ll seek a headwind for various intervals , it’s a form of self punishment!

For general endurance spins over 2hrs I’ll plan for a headwind home, anything less I don’t bother with planning for it.

In Limerick all winds seem to be headwinds

I pulle out my cycling jacket today, now it’s only a lidl one and haven’t used it much before.

But the pockets........they are in the general area of side pockets, i.e. not at the back of the jacket , they are zipped. But you nearly break your wrists trying to access them. It’s like the zip when closed is past your armpit and up really high, very awkward to open etc

Is this just a weird cycling jacket? Or is there a reason for these strangely positioned side pockets.

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    I pulle out my cycling jacket today, now it’s only a lidl one and haven’t used it much before.

But the pockets........they are in the general area of side pockets, i.e. not at the back of the jacket , they are zipped. But you nearly break your wrists trying to access them. It’s like the zip when closed is past your armpit and up really high, very awkward to open etc

Is this just a weird cycling jacket? Or is there a reason for these strangely positioned side pockets.

Are you sure they are pockets and not just air vents to stop you overheating?

Are you sure they are pockets and not just air vents to stop you overheating?

Well they have zips and are not open ended. So they seems like pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

From the free app tailwinds. Any other free apps.

https://mywindsock.com/ shows some interesting maps of strava rides with colour coded areas showing head/tail/cross winds. I sometime use it to take a look at rides I have just done but it also can show you info on routes your thinking about doing in upcoming weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,064 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

are sails illegal to attach to bikes?

Tacking into the wind up the Grand Canal or SCR might prove a bit problematic!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

breezy1985 wrote: »
    In Limerick all winds seem to be headwinds
    I was literally about to say that. It's ridiculous, pre lockdown you'd head out into the countryside into a wind then cycle into it on the way back, same for commuting to work in the mornings. Also are the roads ever dry down here? I haven't lived here for a Summer yet but my God its been miserable cycling so far compared to living in Bray...

Another pedantic question

Looking to get a phone holder for the bike (iPhone 7 plus)

Thinking of one like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087Q9Y2XK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_8MB35M5FHGVPVBN093V9

Handy to store stuff in, does not take up valuable handlebar space, safer for phone.

Or this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085Q1GGCX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_ERA1J3W4NCTXR11GFTFQ

Goes on handlebar. My handlebar is already busy with cycle computer and light etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thargor wrote: »
    I was literally about to say that. It's ridiculous, pre lockdown you'd head out into the countryside into a wind then cycle into it on the way back, same for commuting to work in the mornings. Also are the roads ever dry down here? I haven't lived here for a Summer yet but my God its been miserable cycling so far compared to living in Bray...

the weather has been sh!te in Wicklow as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Another pedantic question

Looking to get a phone holder for the bike (iPhone 7 plus)

Thinking of one like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087Q9Y2XK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_8MB35M5FHGVPVBN093V9

Handy to store stuff in, does not take up valuable handlebar space, safer for phone.

Or this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085Q1GGCX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_ERA1J3W4NCTXR11GFTFQ

Goes on handlebar. My handlebar is already busy with cycle computer and light etc.

If you have a cycling jersey/top with rear pockets I find this very good:

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/rainproof-essentials-case/product/LEC05XX

Rapha also have a larger version.

A Northern Irish company have one similar:

https://seesense.cc/collections/accessories/products/cycling-pouch

same link twice there!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'd be interested in hearing what winds regular cyclists here are comfortable cycling in from a safety point of view. Struggling into a headwind isn't something that bothers me any more than struggling up a hill but gusty sidewinds on descents freak the hell out of me. My neck of the woods is reporting 50kph average today which is more than I'd be comfortable withm, 30kph-40kph and I'll look for more sheltered routes and try and keep off-road where I'm slower at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭billyhead

smacl wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing what winds regular cyclists here are comfortable cycling in from a safety point of view. Struggling into a headwind isn't something that bothers me any more than struggling up a hill but gusty sidewinds on descents freak the hell out of me. My neck of the woods is reporting 50kph average today which is more than I'd be comfortable withm, 30kph-40kph and I'll look for more sheltered routes and try and keep off-road where I'm slower at the best of times.

It's crosswinds that are the worry. Wouldn't fancy been blown in front of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Can't beat a big hedge halfway up a hill on a windy day.
    Sitting upright a get air in the lungs.

Whoosh!! A gateway. Crosswind!!

i think the strongest i've willingly gone out in was 40km/h - and managed just over 60km/h on the flat at one point. i knew i was going out on mainly low lying (but) exposed roads, there would be an expectation that the wind would be consistent and predictable there. i wouldn't head up hills too willingly in that, you're more exposed to gusts.

marvin80 wrote: »

I have this and it's great. I leave 20€, a 2€ coin, few tissues, an extra credit card I have, cycling federation membership card, and more recently a folded up face mask in it permanently. Just a case of putting in the phone then and ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

A couple of years back I took part in the Westsportif and we got what Met Eireann might term a 'changeable' day. Pissing rain with winds coming from all 4 directions. Cycled south through the Inagh valley directly into a strong headwind and then back north through Joyce country directly into the wind. At a certain point it started to change direction and I suddenly noticed I was freewheeling at 60kmph, great I thought - payback! The next thing though it turned into a cross wind and started to actually lift cyclists off the road, blowing them straight into the ditch. What was entertaining to watch on TV in pro-races was terrifying to experience in person. No idea what wind speed that was but I'd image 60k or so. Anyhow it was the last time I made the mistake of heading out in high winds.

marvin80 wrote: »

Thing is I like to be able to have a gander at the phone whilst cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 25,280 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thargor wrote: »

Im just back after years in London and Im shocked at how many days it takes for the roads to dry after rain. Pretty sure it is one of the cloudiest and wettest cities in the EU

The up side is after a while you will qualify as a true Flandrien and you will be destroying all your old Bray buddies in the echelons

Advertisement