Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower cubicle leaking - PVC cladding

Options
  • 21-02-2021 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a shower cubicle, it was rebuilt 4.5 years ago. The walls are lined with PVC cladding over magnesium board. The cladding is sealed to the tray with a trim and silicone.

There is a leak in a corner, judging by the plasterboard on the other side of the (hollow, 2x4 stud) wall getting wet only in that place. The plumber took a look and he doesn't trust the PVC cladding at all, suspecting that the joints might be leaking. He suggests taking the PVC cladding off entirely, tiling the wall instead (after tanking it and sealing the tray to it - probably we replace the tray too, it's old).

Should I indeed replace PVC cladding with tiling, or are there other options? (I do trust this plumber, but there's enough trouble washing the PVC, I am not looking forward to maintaining the grout!)

Also can PVC cladding joints really leak? Another option is the seal between the cladding and the joints. the silicone is flaky in places, but I thought those PVC trims didn't let leaks through so easily?

Advertisement