Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike advice

Options
  • 20-02-2021 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Looking for bike suggestions for my wife. On the cycle to work scheme so budget up to 1250 for the bike as she already has lock, jacket, helmet ect. Not tied to any particular shop either. She is currently cycling an old steel Giant Squadron city type bike so looking for something a bit lighter and easier to push. Her cycling is entirely functional. Into town, around the area, a bit of shopping, meeting friends ect. She won't ever be fitness cycling or doing sportives or anything like that.

What I had in mind for her was some kind of hybrid ideally with hub gears or 1 X 11 speed (or equivalent) as she has always struggled with front derailleur systems. A triple front is absolutely out of the question. Double at a pinch. A hub dynamo would be nice and bike has to take rack and mudguards. Beyond that no particular requirements.

I had a quick trawl of the main brands but nothing jumping out at me yet..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm always amazed at how few 1x urban bikes there are. I had a 1x10 Canyon Urban a few years ago which was perfect gearing for around town. So many hybrid or urban style bikes still have triples on the front. I mean who wants to be dealing with the hassle of a triple on a rainy day going up a hill surrounded by traffic?

I haven't looked at this market in a while but I'd take a look at Cube - they had a belt drive Hyde and available in a women's frame that used to be good value

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

You sir appear to be big into cycling, and swimming. She is not.

Get her, or perhaps encourage her to get an ebike. It might even become a method for you both to go on date cycles together.

Unless, of course you want to preserve your bike-time as strictly me-time.

If you can get them in stock halfords have some nice looking hub'd Boardmans at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Roadtoad wrote: »
    You sir appear to be big into cycling, and swimming. She is not.

Get her, or perhaps encourage her to get an ebike. It might even become a method for you both to go on date cycles together.

Unless, of course you want to preserve your bike-time as strictly me-time.

That was discussed. Although in her mid fifties she dosent feel she is ready for one yet. We do (or used to before Covid) do date cycles. It consisted of cycling down to the seafront and sitting outside a pub or cafe on a sunny evening..
    Or into town on a Saturday..As I said her cycling is purely functional. She has no interest in just going out for a spin..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I'm always amazed at how few 1x urban bikes there are. I had a 1x10 Canyon Urban a few years ago which was perfect gearing for around town. So many hybrid or urban style bikes still have triples on the front. I mean who wants to be dealing with the hassle of a triple on a rainy day going up a hill surrounded by traffic?

I haven't looked at this market in a while but I'd take a look at Cube - they had a belt drive Hyde and available in a women's frame that used to be good value

Actually the belt drive is a good idea. Her current bike has a chain guard so no worries about muck and oil.. I checked out the Cube belt drive and it may be an option..
    your point about the triple is spot on. She is constantly trying to work out which ring/gear she should be in. Ends up with cross chaining and unsatisfactory shifting..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend of mine uses a giant seek (no longer made) for his commute, and he says it's very good; it's internally geared.

this is an example, i'm not sure what they replaced it with:

https://www.h2gear.co.uk/dpt/pgr/giant-seek-0-disc-urban-hybrid-bike__3490

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    That was discussed. Although in her mid fifties she dosent feel she is ready for one yet. We do (or used to before Covid) do date cycles. It consisted of cycling down to the seafront and sitting outside a pub or cafe on a sunny evening..
    Or into town on a Saturday..As I said her cycling is purely functional. She has no interest in just going out for a spin..

Some e Bikes are designed simply to eliminate the need for gears.

I think hub geared bike with a belt would be ideal.

Advertisement