Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for a plumber

Options
  • 20-02-2021 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, what would be a rough price of changing an element in the hot water tank, and to drain the tank.

The hard water wrecks the element about every 8 months.

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cylinder with a single top entry element would be around 150 supplied & fitted. All plumbers make their own prices so some might charge a little more or less. Side entry twin element would be 200 give or take

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Cylinder with a single top entry element would be around 150 supplied & fitted. All plumbers make their own prices so some might charge a little more or less. Side entry twin element would be 200 give or take

Thanks very much mate, Yes it is a side entry single element.

Is it difficult to do? I work in the building trade, I've only ever changed top elements (at my old house). Is drain the tank difficult mate?

Steve012 wrote:
    Is it difficult to do? I work in the building trade, I've only ever changed top elements (at my old house). Is drain the tank difficult mate?

Some tanks have a drain off at the bottom of the cylinder. If it doesn't then water needs to be syphoned or Pumped out. Personally I'd replace both, while drained down, even if only one has blown.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Some tanks have a drain off at the bottom of the cylinder. If it doesn't then water needs to be syphoned or Pumped out. Personally I'd replace both, while drained down, even if only one has blown.

Thanks Sleeper12.
    My mate said be extremely careful taking the element out, if it cracks, it will wreck the tank?!?

Is there truth in this?
    Last question, and thank you for your replies

Steve012 wrote: »
    Thanks Sleeper12.
    My mate said be extremely careful taking the element out, if it cracks, it will wreck the tank?!?

Is there truth in this?
    Last question, and thank you for your replies

Some don’t want to come out and may take a bit of convincing which is where you can get problems.

With side entry it’s water you have to be careful with, the first time I replaced one on a 300 ltr unvented cylinder I accidentally flooded a very nice house, I was partly to blame because I was told you could easily jump a side entry immersions if your really quick, that is definitely a lie :(

• Advertisement

gary71 wrote: »
    Some don’t want to come out and may take a bit of convincing which is where you can get problems.

With side entry it’s water you have to be careful with, the first time I replaced one on a 300 ltr unvented cylinder I accidentally flooded a very nice house, I was partly to blame because I was told you could easily jump a side entry immersions if your really quick, that is definitely a lie :(

Thanks man, fck it I'll get a plumber!!

Enjoy your Saturday eve.

gary71 wrote:
    With side entry it’s water you have to be careful with, the first time I replaced one on a 300 ltr unvented cylinder I accidentally flooded a very nice house, I was partly to blame because I was told you could easily jump a side entry immersions if your really quick, that is definitely a lie

Nah Gary. You just weren't fast enough :)

Advertisement