Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EBUS test results.

Options
  • 20-02-2021 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭

hi all
    Currently waiting on results of an EBUS test and I’ve been told it will be 14 days before the test is back.
    Fair enough but I wonder, what tests exactly are done on the biopsy that was taken during the EBUS?
    I looked at timescales in America and that mentioned 5 days for lab results back.
    I also looked up Hse documentation and that said a month.
    I am going down the private route on this so it’s as quick as it can be in Ireland anyway.
    Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

They have look at it under a microscope to see what the diagnosis is.... thats what a biopsy is..... it takes time........ depends on the procedure and lab in the hospital you attended

• Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Wesser wrote: »
    They have look at it under a microscope to see what the diagnosis is.... thats what a biopsy is..... it takes time........ depends on the procedure and lab in the hospital you attended

Yeah agreed I understand that but I’m just wondering what tests are done on the biopsy? Is it a case of a lab technician assessing it then it goes to a doctor to confirm visually? Is there a chemical test that takes x number days to confirm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The turnaround time for your results depends on what tests were requested and the nature of investigation.

You may have had both fluid and tissue biopsy samples taken. These may go to different laboratory departments, eg Microbiology and Histopathology. Samples may also be sent to referral labs in Ireland or abroad if the required tests aren't available in that private hospitals lab.

First the biopsy is grossly examined by a pathologist. The size and dimensions of the sample is recorded as well as the colour, irregularities or any other observations the pathologist may make.

A medical scientist then processes the biopsy. The samples are put into small cassettes to hold the tissue securely while it’s processed on an analyser. This takes many hours or may be run overnight. The tissue is then put into a mould with hot paraffin wax. The wax cools to form a solid block that protects the tissue.

Then the block is cut into very thin slices using equipment called a microtome. The slices of tissue are placed on glass slides.
    The slides are placed on another analyser for staining with various chemicals to highlight the proteins, structures or cells you want to look for. Different tissue types will require different stains and chemicals. Again this takes many hours or may be run overnight.

Once the slides are stained, they are viewed under a microscope by a medical scientist to check all techniques worked successfully and each slide has been processed correctly.
    A pathologist then examined the slides to look for abnormalities and compiles the final patient report.

This is general routine procedure for biopsy samples. Turnaround times may vary based on staffing levels and the daily workload of samples to process.

Your biopsy could well be processed under 14 days, but maybe depending on your doctors workload or schedule, 14 days may be the time you were quoted to ensure all results would be back to discuss it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The turnaround time for your results depends on what tests were requested and the nature of investigation.

You may have had both fluid and tissue biopsy samples taken. These may go to different laboratory departments, eg Microbiology and Histopathology. Samples may also be sent to referral labs in Ireland or abroad if the required tests aren't available in that private hospitals lab.

First the biopsy is grossly examined by a pathologist. The size and dimensions of the sample is recorded as well as the colour, irregularities or any other observations the pathologist may make.

A medical scientist then processes the biopsy. The samples are put into small cassettes to hold the tissue securely while it’s processed on an analyser. This takes many hours or may be run overnight. The tissue is then put into a mould with hot paraffin wax. The wax cools to form a solid block that protects the tissue.

Then the block is cut into very thin slices using equipment called a microtome. The slices of tissue are placed on glass slides.
    The slides are placed on another analyser for staining with various chemicals to highlight the proteins, structures or cells you want to look for. Different tissue types will require different stains and chemicals. Again this takes many hours or may be run overnight.

Once the slides are stained, they are viewed under a microscope by a medical scientist to check all techniques worked successfully and each slide has been processed correctly.
    A pathologist then examined the slides to look for abnormalities and compiles the final patient report.

This is general routine procedure for biopsy samples. Turnaround times may vary based on staffing levels and the daily workload of samples to process.

Your biopsy could well be processed under 14 days, but maybe depending on your doctors workload or schedule, 14 days may be the time you were quoted to ensure all results would be back to discuss it with you.

Brilliant information thanks very much.
    I like to know the process of things so that was very helpful.

Advertisement