Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space: Above and Beyond. Who remembers it? Would you watch a redone version of it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I loved it. Shame how it ended. I wouldn't mind a reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I didn't think anyone else had watched it. I had the series on DVD at one point but long since lost it.

https://youtu.be/F1QJpAukxec

Seems like fans have scaled it to 4k. Lot of these shows look bad on modern TVs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I loved it. Shame how it ended. I wouldn't mind a reboot.
    Same; loved it and definitely want a re-run and extension. There season 2 and series finale was planned by the writers and are out there as well with some google king-fu to find and it sounded awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think some of them that were involved in the remake of "Battlestar Galactica" involved in this would be great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Was a great series, such a pity we didn't get to see it concluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

I loved it! Devastated when it was dropped.
    Some amazing episodes.
    Would love a reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

What a fantastic series and a real contrast to the likes of Star Trek and Babylon 5 which were on at that time.
    Very gritty.
    The twist/revelation was so good.
    It's been said already but it's an awful shame the way it ended but that in itself was an ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Part of me wants to rewatch this but I also have worried it hasn't aged as well as the version in my memory. Bit like something similar with Babylon 5, whose FX need a severe suspension of disbelief. What was the reason for the original cancellation btw? Just low numbers or something else?

90s nostalgia bottom trawling is coming, so I'd say there's vaguely good odds of this getting remade. 80s nostalgia is starting to tap out, with the next generation now looking to the 90s. From what I recall of the show its themes of discrimination, xenophobia and whatnot still feel fresh.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Part of me wants to rewatch this but I also have worried it hasn't aged as well as the version in my memory. Bit like something similar with Babylon 5, whose FX need a severe suspension of disbelief. What was the reason for the original cancellation btw? Just low numbers or something else?

90s nostalgia bottom trawling is coming, so I'd say there's vaguely good odds of this getting remade. 80s nostalgia is starting to tap out, with the next generation now looking to the 90s. From what I recall of the show its themes of discrimination, xenophobia and whatnot still feel fresh.

Yeah cancelled due to low ratings.
    Must rewatch it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Great show! That ending nearly broke me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lujan wrote: »
    Yeah cancelled due to low ratings.
    Must rewatch it

As with a lot of these cult classics, I'd wonder how things might have been during the social media era, heck even the era pasy "live" viewing being the only opportunity to watch; when the exact (viral) popularity of something was easier to guage. You look at The Expanse as a major example, but even smaller cult shows like Wynonna Earp, both saved by the power of a vocal fanbase against ostensibly low ratings.

It's crazy to think how nowadays, the ratings during the live broadcast are almost meaningless, when not that long ago they were the voice of god.

A lot of the biggest shows had poor viewing figures for the first season or two. Being able to watch it through are streaming gives prime a chance who missed it to watch it.

Music is the same. First albums and band being dropped. Etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Preferred Millennium.

I used to love Millennium too. Some great shows out back then.

I keep meaning to start The Expanse.
    Is it any good?

Lujan wrote: »
    I used to love Millennium too. Some great shows out back then.

I keep meaning to start The Expanse.
    Is it any good?

Yes. Go watch it. Season 1s slow, the rest is fried gold TV.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes. Go watch it. Season 1s slow, the rest is fried gold TV.

Brilliant. I have been looking for something new to watch.
    Thanks for the recommendation

Expanse starts slow. But yes it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Preferred Millennium.

Now you're talking........Millennium seemed to get better and better as it went along. Shame it wasn't given the chance to really grow. One of the episodes that really stuck with me was when Frank was hunting a serial killer who was broadcasting his murders live over the interweb. Dark stuff indeed but really well done.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It was an absolutely cracking show for it's time, I did a rewatch a few years ago and while it hasn't particularly aged well it's still excellent. I remember being floored by the ending watching it on C4 or something and just staring open mouthed at the TV for like 15 minutes (before the days of when the internet told you things were cancelled) .

Even in the rewatch i really liked things like how they got their arse kicked essentially the whole series, their was literally no techno babble that oozed from Star Trek and even BSG in parts.

It was the ending made it. So bleak and out of nowhere. I'd love a reboot but it would be hard not to touch on what BSG (for a time) did perfectly.

I don't remember there being a "bad" episode off hand but there were some top top ones and the ships were cool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Preferred Millennium.
    I enjoyed 'Space: Above & Beyond', but yes I also preferred 'Millennium'. 'Hannibal' (the TV show) was the closest I've gotten since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I have the Space: Above & Beyond boxset and rewatched it a year or two ago. Its aged OK but some great story line and good characters. Defo one I will rewatch again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Loved it and went to great lengths to get the box-set when it was finally released: it was only available in-store from BestBuy and was Region 1 encoded so not only did I have to get a US-based friend to pick it up and post it to me, I actually had to buy a new region-free DVD player so I could re-watch it!

IIRC, it's ratings weren't great in large part due to scheduling issues where it got shuffled around time-slots and days and there was something about a clash with Monday Night Football which is always putting a show on a hiding to nothing.

Added to that was that at the time it was an extremely expensive show to shoot (I remember it as being the most expensive show per episode ever at the time but can't find anything on-line to back this up with a quick google). Decent CGI was in it's infancy and massively expensive and I've that this was why a series focused on a squadron of pilots had so many ground-based missions (it's even referenced in the show about every marine being a rifleman first and foremost or something along those lines).

Advertisement