Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would love to see "Space: Above and Beyond" redone"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Getting this to 100 signatures should be as easy as eating pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Have it on DVD somewhere but can't sign the petition
    "There was an error submitting your signature."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I used to love that series but productions these days tend to be excuses for agenda driven activism instead of good stories, If they could do it right and keep the same world but with modern sfx then I would be all for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was just thinking about this series the other day. So many incredible episodes...

It wasn't a perfect show, there were some story arcs that seemed to come from nowhere, and at times it just felt a bit directionless, but then you had episodes like "Ray Butts" (season 1, episode 5). I think that was the piece of TV that introduced me to Johnny Cash music! I had to dig out my dad's records after that.

In terms of what a contemporary take on the show might be like today...

I'm not sure it needs that radical an update in terms of casting, it was really diverse for back in the day, I don't think you'd need to tinker with much. I wouldn't be surprised if Shane was made male and Coop was made female, but that's just moving the chairs around really.

The story setting in the show is reminiscent of Robert Heinlein but moreso Joe Haldeman, whose 'The Forever War' was heavily influenced by Vietnam and was a little morally ambiguous.

If I remember rightly, there is a point in Space Above and Beyond where the Chig attacks on the human colony that kicked off the whole war are revealed not to be the 'out of the blue' act of aggression they were thought to be. I am hazy but I think the idea was that maybe the humans fired the first shot.

I could easily imagine a contemporary plot where it's all jingoistic heroism until a big reveal at the end of season 1 that reveals it's all a bit suss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Loved this series back in the day, fantastic theme for the intro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Hey Ho lets go!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I was just thinking about this series the other day. So many incredible episodes...

It wasn't a perfect show, there were some story arcs that seemed to come from nowhere, and at times it just felt a bit directionless, but then you had episodes like "Ray Butts" (season 1, episode 5). I think that was the piece of TV that introduced me to Johnny Cash music! I had to dig out my dad's records after that.

In terms of what a contemporary take on the show might be like today...

I'm not sure it needs that radical an update in terms of casting, it was really diverse for back in the day, I don't think you'd need to tinker with much. I wouldn't be surprised if Shane was made male and Coop was made female, but that's just moving the chairs around really.

The story setting in the show is reminiscent of Robert Heinlein but moreso Joe Haldeman, whose 'The Forever War' was heavily influenced by Vietnam and was a little morally ambiguous.

If I remember rightly, there is a point in Space Above and Beyond where the Chig attacks on the human colony that kicked off the whole war are revealed not to be the 'out of the blue' act of aggression they were thought to be. I am hazy but I think the idea was that maybe the humans fired the first shot.

I could easily imagine a contemporary plot where it's all jingoistic heroism until a big reveal at the end of season 1 that reveals it's all a bit suss.

It was where the colony company was warned not to send the ship by the chiqs as it was a chiq planet but was revealed in the end of the series that they blatantly ignored the warnings and send the ship anyways.

Hence which started the war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

“4 have signed”

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

“4 have signed”
    http://chng.it/vzBHpGbcKR

im one of them!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Still 4. Will that be enough to make it happen I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

This was a great series back in the day, I wonder if a streaming service would do something with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just signed it and shared it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Space: Above and Beyond was the Pacific War in space, from the Pearl Harbor surprise attack to the space carriers, planet-hopping campaign and "amphibious" assaults. They don't really have to change that basic premise.

Still only 4 / 100 signatures

"It's DEAD, Jim"

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

It was a Fox show as far as I remember so that would mean a campaign should be directed at Disney.

Yes that was the concept and it was great.

I would love a Star Wars series like Above and Beyond (although more more lighthearted) about fighter pilots, soldiers and a battleship.

they could either be separate series or combine them into one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hopefully, given the phletora of other shows being green-lit, Above and beyond is given a second chance as it was an excellent series.

Advertisement