Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody struggle with 'common sense'?

Options
  • 19-02-2021 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

What makes it common?

I always find my opinions are a bit wayward and off kilter with others. Always. Very rarely do I find people are in line with my worldview. I think it's because there's no consistency in my thoughts and I tend to flipflop on issues depending on new information or insights that I glean.

I thank(blame) being introverted as a teenager so I never really got normalised to the conventions of our society and actually, always rebelled against them on some level. I have tried at times to fit in but it felt like I was acting mostly.

I'm not exactly a maverick who plays by his own rules or anything; I'm far too uninteresting for that, but I do find my belief system and opinions to be outside the norm.

It's a very strange thing to experience a constant discord between yourself and others, even your closest friends. It's not that I strive to be different or embrace it, just I routinely find myself going against the grain on all sorts of issues. I put it down to having a non black and white view of the world, as well as not being much of a reader in my formative years. My reality is obviously influenced by my parents and my dad was a maverick type who seemed to live outside normal society and my mum was an insightful philosophical sort.

It would be interesting to standardise my thought process and experience how someone who is the perfect society man or women interprets and experiences the world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Common sense is not the same as opinions / beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Common sense is not the same as opinions.

It factors into opinions though. Like, forms the framework from which opinions emerge. That's my understanding based off one paragraph I read today about Marx's insight on 'common sense'. When you think about it, if you have an argument with someone about something a common rebuttal will be 'How can you not see it/agree with me, it's common sense'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

It factors into opinions though. Like, forms the framework from which opinions emerge. That's my understanding based off one paragraph I read today about Marx's insight on 'common sense'.

Common sense is knowing not to try to cross a busy road as you are likely to be hit by a car, or not to leave your car sun roof open overnight as you are likely to have wet seats the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's said, common sense is not so common, and I agree with it.

I know it's about 'reasonable' but it does tie in.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_on_the_Clapham_omnibus

I like your honest and critical introspection. Honestly I can relate to a lot of it. I always have to check myself in work to screen that what I'm about to say fits within the realm of what a normal person would say. Because otherwise the amount of erratic and messed up stuff that would pass my lips would get me locked up. Any I am actually very sane. A stable genius as the Donald would say. Some people are just outsiders in life, I guess.

• Advertisement

Common sense is knowing not to try to cross a busy road as you are likely to be hit by a car, or not to leave your car sun roof open overnight as you are likely to have wet seats the next morning.

Day to day life does get pretty hard to navigate I gotta say. Hahaha/ I get what you mean but I mean more of a common sense approach to logic and deductive reasoning perhaps which spills into views of the world.

I like your honest and critical introspection. Honestly I can relate to a lot of it. I always have to check myself in work to screen that what I'm about to say fits within the realm of what a normal person would say. Because otherwise the amount of erratic and messed up stuff that would pass my lips would get me locked up. Any I am actually very sane. A stable genius as the Donald would say. Some
      people are just outsiders in life, I guess.

Very interesting. Yeah I'd almost describe it like not feeling on the same wavelength as others. I get on with people but it's like I'm on a lower(or hopefully higher) plane of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I find I have very different views and opinions on a lot of stuff, but I don't feel that it makes me any less. But it's not the same as common sense. Common sense is the ability to know if something you're about to do is good or bad. Don't walk in front of a moving vehicle, don't eat food from the floor, etc. Common insofar as you really should know. But there is a distinct lack of it, and it's getting worse, helped in no part by crazy payouts for lack of common sense incidents.

Advertisement