Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring electric motor switch - the numbers on terminals??

Options
  • 19-02-2021 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I’m trying to wires Chinese 10A switch to a bench grinder. The terminals on one side read 31, 21 and 11, the other side reads 12, 22, and 32.
    Which wires go where.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TGD wrote: »
    I’m trying to wires Chinese 10A switch to a bench grinder. The terminals on one side read 31, 21 and 11, the other side reads 12, 22, and 32.
    Which wires go where.

Just stick a meter across it and check for continuity when you switch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

ted1 wrote: »
    Just stick a meter across it and check for continuity when you switch it.

Thanks. I don’t have a meter. I presume the connections are opposite each other and it probably doesn’t matter as long as I keep the same wires opposite??
    11 is opposite 12, 21 from 22 and 31 from 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

TGD wrote: »
    Thanks. I don’t have a meter. I presume the connections are opposite each other and it probably doesn’t matter as long as I keep the same wires opposite??
    11 is opposite 12, 21 from 22 and 31 from 32.

I'm going to speculate its a 3 phase motor with windings 11-12, 21-22, 31-32.
    Check out star and delta. They can be run on single phase, have a google/youtube.

A battery and a torch bulb would make a substitute for a meter in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Got a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I wired it up (and don't have pic unfortunately) and it went ok but barely started - no torque. It's fine when it got going so I presume the staring capacitor is gone (not that I know anything much about these things.
    Where can I get one of these on-line and is there anything specific I should be looking for?
    It's an ancient Wolf grinder - not industrial size but quite solid.
    The capacitor on it is a big, rectangular thing, filling the bed of the grinder. The text on it looks like 8MFD 300AC WKO.
    Thank for the help on this.

544417.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If its an old Wolf grinder I doubt it has a chinese motor it will be an English made one. Wolf were a company founded in the UK in 1900 and were at their peak as a quality brand name around 1960.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement