Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have deposit but didn't save it. This seems a problem

Options
  • 19-02-2021 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi,

We were not in a position to think of buying a house but we received an inheritance (lucky us) so we decided to apply for a mortgage as we have no bills, credit cards, loans etc.

Even though we have evidence of paying rent that would cover a mortgage and have half the price of the house as inheritance we are not eligible because we didn't save it ourselves.

Anyone know anything about this? It seem like we are stuck until we can save 25 grand on our own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Flashdan wrote: »
    Hi,

We were not in a position to think of buying a house but we received an inheritance (lucky us) so we decided to apply for a mortgage as we have no bills, credit cards, loans etc.

Even though we have evidence of paying rent that would cover a mortgage and have half the price of the house as inheritance we are not eligible because we didn't save it ourselves.

Anyone know anything about this? It seem like we are stuck until we can save 25 grand on our own.

I sympathise with you. Paying a rent which is far in excess of what the monthly repayment would be, on time, payment recorded. and in full employment just doesnt seem to make any difference. What more " ability to repay"do they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pleh

Hi,

Start saving now consistently. You probably need a saving history for 6 months for the stress tested amount for your mortgage payment. So that would include rent and the balance in savings. Ask the bank mortgage advisor what the minimum you need to save each month for the mortgage amount you aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would talk to a broker

Six months record of saving covering the stress test amount should see you right.

Talk to a broker alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

Thanks for your replies. We do have 6 months of saving just not the required percentage. They say 5% in savings so that would be 12500 but as I said it was not long notice before I got the money. This is through a broker but these were the people who offered the most potentially. The broker is looking into other options.

Thanks again for your replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Would it work if you paid your rent out of your inheritance and save from your wages, assuming they are in different account. It doesn't make any difference in terms of money, but would make it look like you're saving.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Would it work if you paid your rent out of your inheritance and save from your wages, assuming they are in different account. It doesn't make any difference in terms of money, but would make it look like you're saving.

I will look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The broker is definitely your best bet - they'll have a better knowledge of the credit criteria of each of the lenders and will direct you to the one that will be most favorable to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get a credit history though. That could even mean doing your shopping on a credit card paying it down monthly in full. It all goes towards your record meaning you appear reliable to the bean counters

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

pleh wrote:
    Start saving now consistently. You probably need a saving history for 6 months for the stress tested amount for your mortgage payment. So that would include rent and the balance in savings. Ask the bank mortgage advisor what the minimum you need to save each month for the mortgage amount you aim for.

My ex got half the equity of it shared home so she had a substantial deposit to buy her own place. However she had no record of saving every month so that was the black mark for getting a mortgage.

To get it she basically had to show that she could save 1k every month for six months. After that she had the large deposit, a record of saving and qualified for 3.5 times the mortgage she needed. So it was straightforward.

A bank won't hand out a mortgage simply on the basis of having a big enough deposit. You need to also demonstrate that you have fiscal reliability also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

As previously posters said, you will need at least 6 months savings at the stress test amount. Usually this can be shown between your rent and saving the balance. I don’t think you’ll get around that regardless of a broker or not. Keep the head done and save away and you’ll be ready to go in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Flashdan wrote:

The bank looks at it as you both earned X amount over the last two or three years yet you didn't manage to save any of it. They want you to prove that you can save regularly.

I hope I don't sound judgemental. I'm just showing how the banks look at it.

Have a chat with Bank of Ireland, directly. I spoke to them and they said that paying rent, or indeed paying a loan on time every month, is a demonstrator of your ability to repay.

Have a chat with Bank of Ireland, directly. I spoke to them and they said that paying rent, or indeed paying a loan on time every month, is a demonstrator of your ability to repay.

Will do that. Think that is who they are trying next

I'm with BoI and I'm happy enough with them, so perhaps there's a bias, but I found them reasonable enough when chatting on the phone. They seem to have a couple of stackable offers too at the moment (if you save for your deposit with them, using a "mortgage saver" account, they'll give you €2k at drawdown, and they do an offer of 2 cashback at drawdown, and 1% cashback in 5 years.

(I presume you only get the 1% in 5 years if you stick rigidly to the repayment schedule, but I could well be wrong).

My opinion on them being 'reasonable' may well change if they refuse me, the day I go looking for a mortgage, of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

listermint wrote: »
    Get a credit history though. That could even mean doing your shopping on a credit card paying it down monthly in full. It all goes towards your record meaning you appear reliable to the bean counters

absolutely this, the amount of people I know who have gone their whole lives only getting loans off their parents and save save save, no credit card etc.. who get declined mortgages and the ones that were living in credit card debt but keeping up payments and only tightened the belt for 18 months to get a house.

I think any employed adult needs a credit card not only for emergencies but also building credit history, getting a card and throwing all your normal spending on it and paying it off every month while still saving is the best route to being mortgage ready in 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

absolutely this, the amount of people I know who have gone their whole lives only getting loans off their parents and save save save, no credit card etc.. who get declined mortgages and the ones that were living in credit card debt but keeping up payments and only tightened the belt for 18 months to get a house.

I think any employed adult needs a credit card not only for emergencies but also building credit history, getting a card and throwing all your normal spending on it and paying it off every month while still saving is the best route to being mortgage ready in 12 months.

Has this not consistently been shown to be false? I've seen multiple banks and brokers put out stuff recently in an effort to bust this myth. I've seen it stated numerous times that there is no impact on a mortgage application, whether you've never availed of a credit facility or not. Unless you've missed repayments of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

The issue is that you need to show you can make the repayments. If you save X per month then you show you can afford to repay X per month. In our case they took rent into account, which was fine in itself because it was greater than the repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

You are in that odd situation where having a loan would have helped.

They tend to need something that gives a credit rating, rent used not count and based on you post still doesn't.

They may be able to agree a pre mortgage savings plan with you - save X for X months to show you can etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Reversal wrote: »
    Has this not consistently been shown to be false? I've seen multiple banks and brokers put out stuff recently in an effort to bust this myth. I've seen it stated numerous times that there is no impact on a mortgage application, whether you've never availed of a credit facility or not. Unless you've missed repayments of course.

Correct. We're not in the states.

There's no "credit score" in Ireland. Just reports that show if you've missed payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can see the banks point on this, how many times has somebody got a windfall and then blew it within a year because they had no money management skills? What happens after that inheritance is gone?

When you think about it, even just juggling money between accounts over a 6 month period to make it look like you are saving, even that is showing that you understand the procedures and are able to handle the money.

All a lump sum sitting in a bank shows is that somebody gave you a big lump sum.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I didn't make it clear in my OP

I have been saving for a year straight with no interruptions but I have not hit the 12.5 grand they need to give me the mortgage.

Seems weird that you have to pay rent and save a massive amount. Surely the fact that you pay double in rent then the repayments would be would be enough.

I guess this is just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I have been saving for a year straight with no interruptions but I have not hit the 12.5 grand they need to give me the mortgage.

Seems weird that you have to pay rent and save a massive amount. Surely the fact that you pay double in rent then the repayments would be would be enough.

I'm very surprised if that's the way it is. If you're paying ridiculous rent, it's madness if this doesn't count when getting a mortgage that would work out at a fraction.

I know over here (UK), it's very much taken into account. We had next to no regular savings, a lump of a deposit from my previous life back in Ireland, rent was £1100 - mortgage monthly was ~£825. We didn't have a clue of the process so went through a recommended broker and it was never in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It’s not just about saving the amount needed for mortgage repayments - it’s about passing the stress test so they can see if interest rates increased you would be okay to continue paying.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/borrowers-face-new-stress-test-1.390118%3fmode=amp
    So it depends also on how much money you have left over every month once bills are paid.

It just sounds like you haven't hit the 10% requirement? Are you buying a property for 125k? If so you need 10% of it as a deposit. The rules aren't set by the bank themselves, but they have to adhere to them. As far as I am aware, it doesn't matter what your finance situation is, they can't give a mortgage without the deposit requirement being met.

Correct. We're not in the states.

There's no "credit score" in Ireland. Just reports that show if you've missed payments.

Ah in fairness, there is an actual score. I can't remember the specifics but I did a credit check before with ICB and I think my score was about 600 or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They will give a score if the lender requested it I think, but generally it isn't considered as important as in the UK or the States.

They just dont want to see any red flags rather than the ridiculous "building credit history" approach sold by banks and reporting agencies in those countries. Which is BS imo.

I know of at least 5 people who got mortgage approval recently in Ireland without having a credit card or loan history at all.

Just regular savings, income coming through their account and no missed payments on their statements. They weren't high earners either. Just carefully managing their accounts prior to applying for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

wonski wrote: »

I know of at least 5 people who got mortgage approval recently in Ireland without having a credit card or loan history at all.

Just regular savings, income coming through their account and no missed payments on their statements. They weren't high earners either. Just carefully managing their accounts prior to applying for a mortgage.

Yep. This is my recent experience. I was approved in January and I've no loans, no credit cards, nothing on finance. Never had anything like that. They actually said to me "this won't take very long" after asking me questions about it at the start of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yep. This is my recent experience. I was approved in January and I've no loans, no credit cards, nothing on finance. Never had anything like that. They actually said to me "this won't take very long" after asking me questions about it at the start of the process.

It is actually dangerous to even suggest to the op to build up credit history when he was refused mortgage only because of lack of saving history.

Getting a credit card or a loan won't fix it.

It isn't a credit score, it's the lack of regular savings pattern that resulted in refusal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I never had any loans or credit card and I never had an issue with getting AIP and due down funds in December. I also didn’t rent either so didn’t have much outgoings. A the bank wanted to see was I was away the mortgage amount plus stress test every month.

Advertisement