Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esim for apple watch

Options
  • 19-02-2021 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to eir online and it seems that they are launching esim in the coming weeks for the Apple watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Craigels wrote: »
    I was chatting to eir online and it seems that they are launching esim in the coming weeks for the Apple watch

Here is the chat for reference

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Would take it with a pinch of salt, I'll believe it when I can buy a cellular watch on apple.com/ie/watch/.

Still be nice to finally have it, I hate taking my phone on walks/runs.

Would take it with a pinch of salt, I'll believe it when I can buy a cellular watch on apple.com/ie/watch/.

Still be nice to finally have it, I hate taking my phone on walks/runs.

I suppose eir have to launch the service first then Apple will update their website. Fingers crossed

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Is the apple watch compatible with Android handsets now ;)

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Is the apple watch compatible with Android handsets now ;)

Nope still needs to be paired with an iPhone, will be for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Nope still needs to be paired with an iPhone, will be for a long time.

I was actually trying to be funny, my point was that those screenshot with Eir were taken on an Android phone, hence why does poster need an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why would Eir need to have e-Sims in stock?

It's a network service thing that they need to activate and then it's up to Apple to start selling Cellular Watches unless they're going to do through the networks here and that's the stock they're referring to?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why would Eir need to have e-Sims in stock?

It's a network service thing that they need to activate and then it's up to Apple to start selling Cellular Watches unless they're going to do through the networks here and that's the stock they're referring to?

I've seen sims available in carriers in other countries where it's basically one of them credit card shaped cards (like the ones you get with physical sims) with a QR code on them/info on how to setup the eSim. It's useful for those for phones without a nice UI like Apple's etc.

rogers-eSIM-card.png

I do agree it's a little wasteful but could explain the "stock" mention.

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the most likely explanation here is the chat person didn't have a notion what you were talking about.

I've seen sims available in carriers in other countries where it's basically one of them credit card shaped cards (like the ones you get with physical sims) with a QR code on them/info on how to setup the eSim. It's useful for those for phones without a nice UI like Apple's etc.

I do agree it's a little wasteful but could explain the "stock" mention.

That can't be it as the watch must be set up via the phone and it's connection to the cellular network is related to the provider on the phone.

There are no physical sim cards for watches and e-sim nowadays is a chip within a device.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I think the most likely explanation here is the chat person didn't have a notion what you were talking about.

Most likely.
    People seem to think that a person working in a call centre have full knowledge of forthcoming products but they don't.

awec wrote: »

I'm more surprised someone managed to get in touch with Eir at all.

murpho999 wrote: »
    That can't be it as the watch must be set up via the phone and it's connection to the cellular network is related to the provider on the phone.

There are no physical sim cards for watches and e-sim nowadays is a chip within a device.

A lot of these customer chat packages have quick answer buttons, I wouldn't be 100% the agent answered this with regards to an Apple Watch and just hit a generic response to the keyword esim

Whilst I 99.99% agree this agent is talking through his/her hoop, I'm also just trying to see how it could be possible in the 0.01% scenario.

A lot of these customer chat packages have quick answer buttons, I wouldn't be 100% the agent answered this with regards to an Apple Watch and just hit a generic response to the keyword esim

Whilst I 99.99% agree this agent is talking through his/her hoop, I'm also just trying to see how it could be possible in the 0.01% scenario.

Yes I'd say you're right about the agent just responding but no idea what they meant.

Also, I don't get the OPs questions either as they seem to think that an e-sim is a physical thing too rather than having a cellular watch.

I assume watches don't work with any sim at all as it's activated via the phone.

So they are two separate things.

E=Sims. available in newer phones but cellular networks need to adopt them and then probably get rid of physical sims.
    So this will make changing so much easier and you can also get access to a network when abroad much easier.

Cellular Watches. Networks here need to activate ability of networks to support them.

Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭funsize

I see Argos now have the cellular Apple Watch S6 listed, cheaper than the GPS.

Even without an Irish carrier supporting esim, any reason not to buy a cheaper, cellular version?

I bought the gold cellular series 6 from Amazon just because I wanted the gold colour be be honest and I have had no issues using it here I just bought apple care once it arrived with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

funsize wrote: »
    I see Argos now have the cellular Apple Watch S6 listed, cheaper than the GPS.

Even without an Irish carrier supporting esim, any reason not to buy a cheaper, cellular version?

I wonder was this a misprice?

Currently, on argos.ie, the Series 6 Cellular 44mm is €600 and the Series 6 GPS 44mm is €449

shock horror that Stephen from Eir has been wrong, we even gave him a few few weeks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I just heard an ad for Vodafone “One Number” - basically an e-sim for Samsung watches. Surely next step will be Apple Watch??

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/onenumber.html

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Ye I saw the ad too and I thought finally we will have e-sim for Apple Watches but its still not available

I wonder what the delay is getting Apple e-sims in Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Well on VF UKs website they offer OneNumber for Apple Watch, Samsung watches and tablets so here’s hoping it’s a kind of “soft launch” to test the system without the risk of overwhelming it (I assume the numbers of cellular Samsung watches are lower than apple?)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

I still use my cellular Series 4 purchased from EE. There is no material benefit, other than for telcos to sell subsidised watchs to the masses (which obviously isn't happening here!). Oh, you can make calls on the cellular version without your phone being in range (I think I used this once)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

The Apple Watch does use eSIM. When I had my contract, the watch had a different number to the phone (even though you had to have an iPhone on the same carrier)

Advertisement