Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat Without VPN

• 19-02-2021 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

If I connect up one of the latest freesat boxes, such as
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/set-top-boxes/recordable-4k-tv-box
    Without using a VPN router, what online services will I get in the ROI?

I know I will not get the BBC iPlayer ... but will I get ...
    BBC Sounds
    Channel Four Player
    Anything from ITV / Channel 5
    Eros Now
    CBS Catchup
    UKTV Play
    YouTube
    YouTube Kids
    Pop Player
    France 24
    Horror Bites

Any other special channels ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭decor58

eirman wrote: »
    If I connect up one of the latest freesat boxes, such as
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/set-top-boxes/recordable-4k-tv-box
    Without using a VPN router, what online services will I get in the ROI?

I know I will not get the BBC iPlayer ... but will I get ...
    BBC Sounds
    Channel Four Player
    Anything from ITV / Channel 5
    Eros Now
    CBS Catchup
    UKTV Play
    YouTube
    YouTube Kids
    Pop Player
    France 24
    Horror Bites

Any other special channels ?

I had a humax up to December and all I could get was All4, YouTube, Netflix and France24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Thanks decor, that is quite limited!
    Lucky Brits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I’ll piggyback on this thread for a related question...

I was asking on the richersounds forum about what apps you get with the new freesat boxes in ROI and the guy from the shop said that if you connect the freesat box to the internet, it detects your IP and you lose the satellite channels.

I’ve never seen this said before on reading about freesat - anyone know if it’s true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭decor58

okedoke wrote: »

I was asking on the richersounds forum about what apps you get with the new freesat boxes in ROI and the guy from the shop said that if you connect the freesat box to the internet, it detects your IP and you lose the satellite channels.

I’ve never seen this said before on reading about freesat - anyone know if it’s true

Not in my experience, family and friends use Freesat boxes and I am sure none of them have had that experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

okedoke wrote: »

Live channels will work without issue. The ability to watch back 7 days using the web connection won't function as this requires UK IP address to trigger BBCi Player or ITV hub to activate.

These boxes now come with Netflix and Amazon Prime, I am not 100% if these will work as you will have a UK postcode entered on the box but using Irish accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Live channels will work without issue. The ability to watch back 7 days using the web connection won't function as this requires UK IP address to trigger BBCi Player or ITV hub to activate.

These boxes now come with Netflix and Amazon Prime, I am not 100% if these will work as you will have a UK postcode entered on the box but using Irish accounts.

Thanks - it was the live channels I was surprised about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

I described Richer Sounds as being clueless when it comes to certain aspects of the reception of UK terrestrial in the ROI.

It appears that their lack of knowledge also includes aspects of the reception of UK satellite in the ROI.

Advertisement