Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO Overhead Installation Questions

Options
  • 18-02-2021 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm looking to get SIRO gigabit broadband into the house, and the only option available in my area is for an overhead installation.

I have a couple of questions for anyone who can answer:

Does it need to use the ESB meter? Ours is located inside, so I'm not sure how it's going to work.

What are all the boxes and where do they need to be located? Our router is in the middle of the house in a hallway, and the ESB meter is at the back of the house through 2 doors.

Does the internal box need to be located near the router? Or can a CAT 5e/6 cable be run from the internal box to the router over a longer distance?

What actually goes on with the ESB meter? All the pictures I've seen have the meter on the outside but the box is closed.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I have a couple of questions for anyone who can answer:

Does it need to use the ESB meter? Ours is located inside, so I'm not sure how it's going to work.

What are all the boxes and where do they need to be located? Our router is in the middle of the house in a hallway, and the ESB meter is at the back of the house through 2 doors.

Does the internal box need to be located near the router? Or can a CAT 5e/6 cable be run from the internal box to the router over a longer distance?

What actually goes on with the ESB meter? All the pictures I've seen have the meter on the outside but the box is closed.

No, SIRO doesn't use the meter or any other part of the electricity network other than the poles to carry the fibre.

The only reason the fibre cable enters the meter box outside is because it generally follows the same route from the pole as the powerline and then quickly exits the box again without interacting with any of the equipment in the box.

I believe the installer will consult with the homeowner before installation to decide where the fibre cable will enter the house and where the ONT is to be installed. The ONT requires a power point nearby. The router can be connected to the ONT remotely via a run of ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 derekokelly

The Cush wrote: »
    No, SIRO doesn't use the meter or any other part of the electricity network other than the poles to carry the fibre.

The only reason the fibre cable enters the meter box outside is because it generally follows the same route from the pole as the powerline and then quickly exits the box again without interacting with any of the equipment in the box.

I believe the installer will consult with the homeowner before installation to decide where the fibre cable will enter the house and where the ONT is to be installed. The ONT requires a power point nearby. The router can be connected to the ONT remotely via a run of ethernet cable.

Thanks, that makes sense! Can the ONT be plugged into an extension lead or does it need a wall socket? All the videos I've seen have said you should have a double socket, one plug for the ONT and one for your router

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Thanks, that makes sense! Can the ONT be plugged into an extension lead or does it need a wall socket? All the videos I've seen have said you should have a double socket, one plug for the ONT and one for your router

I just had Actavo out to me yesterday to run the fibre from the outside pole to my house. They knocked on my door and asked where would I like the cable connected. I’d say it took them 5 minutes in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Belfunk wrote: »
    I just had Actavo out to me yesterday to run the fibre from the outside pole to my house. They knocked on my door and asked where would I like the cable connected. I’d say it took them 5 minutes in total.

Did u have Actavo out for a main install or just a fibre install? Looking to get my ONT moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

When i posted that it was the fiber install but today they were out for the main install. You could move the ONT yourself. All you will need is a longer fiber patch lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Belfunk wrote: »
    When i posted that it was the fiber install but today they were out for the main install. You could move the ONT yourself. All you will need is a longer fiber patch lead.

ah ok wondered if I'd have to arrange with my ISP

Advertisement