Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 year old vokera boiler - replace or not

Options
  • 18-02-2021 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I have a 20 year old vokera gas boiler. Serviced every year by Vokera. It's not giving any problems, but as it's so old, I keep thinking that it will soon pack up completely and I will be left without heat for a couple of weeks until I get a new boiler. What is best, to hang on to it unit it gives up the ghost completely, or replace now. The service guy from Vokera told me that parts are still readily available for it. I also heard that no more gas boilers can be put into houses after 2022 - is that correct, or does that just mean new houses. My house is C1 and timber frame, but to get it insulated to heat pump standard would cost a lot, and I don't have the money for that now. The quote for a new boiler is 2.4k including flushing. I would like him to put in a new top of the range Vokera boiler, but he is against them. Vokera do a great fixed price service if anything goes wrong. Any advice on this greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

No reason as such to replace a easy repaired boiler

Wouldn't be a fan of vokera myself but to be fair they do seem to have all parts readily available.

Most likely it's new houses can't fit new gas boilers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think it's intended that oil boilers be banned in new builds from 2022 and 2025 for gas boilers.

Not sure of the exact details - maybe someone more informed could clarify.

How much is the Vokera service as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hannaho

The boiler service from Vokera is 180 - pricey, but the guy spends an hour on it, and it has hardly given any trouble. Maybe it's new houses that you can't put gas boilers in after 2025, so I will probably be alright to leave the boiler for another year or two and then replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

My daughter has a ~ 6 year old Vokera Vision 20S (never missed a beat) which has always been serviced by Vokera and I think she pays something like €120 if not lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭youtheman

Hannaho wrote: »
    The boiler service from Vokera is 180 - pricey, but the guy spends an hour on it, and it has hardly given any trouble. Maybe it's new houses that you can't put gas boilers in after 2025, so I will probably be alright to leave the boiler for another year or two and then replace it.

They quote a fixed price service including parts but this excludes significant items such as heat exchanger etc. Last time I got a fixed price service I stood beside the engineer and told him 'this isn't working, that isn't working' and he ended up replacing parts that were worth significantly more than I paid for the fixed price service. No quibbles on his part either. So it is a great option.

Advertisement