Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion not heating up enough to fill a bath

Options
  • 18-02-2021 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

How’s it going,

My missus left the immersion on for a couple of days and now the immersion stops heating the water in the tank after half an hour or so. Iv been looking at forums to bait the band and even replaced the thermostat today. Tried it again and nothing’s changed. Its about a year old and was working fine up to two weeks so I don’t think the sink/bath switch is mixed up either. The reset switch doesn’t seem to do a whole lot when pressed down. Would I be as well to replace the element?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Leaving the immersion on for a few days shouldn't do it the slightest of harm, some are left on for 10 years.
    If its only heating the cylinder for a 1/2 hour or so then this would indicate the sink element in use, if the bath element is selected then it should stay on for 1 &1/2 hours or so to heat from cold at say 20C. If you have a old type ESB meter you will see a spinning disc inside, ensure no big users on like a electric kettle/washmachine/tumble dryer etc on and switch the immersion to bath, if the disc starts spinning very rapidly then the element is OK.
    Presume you rewired the stat as you found it, ie it switches the neutral so controls the temp with either sink/bath on. & its set to 60C.

How do you know that it stops heating the water after 1/2 hour?

Advertisement