Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi booster extender alternative

Options
  • 18-02-2021 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭

I'm moving into a new place next week, the property is actually a cabin out a back garden. There's a WiFi extender/booster out there but I'm told that it's hit and miss at times.

Just wondering if theres any alternative other than a long Ethernet cable ?

Comments

I'm moving into a new place next week, the property is actually a cabin out a back garden. There's a WiFi extender/booster out there but I'm told that it's hit and miss at times.

Power line adapter if it's on the same circuit board. You can get them with wi-fi access point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Power line adapter if it's on the same circuit board. You can get them with wi-fi access point

Is that the one that uses the wiring in the house to run it's siginal through ?

Is that the one that uses the wiring in the house to run it's siginal through ?

Yes. Buy them online so you can return them if they don't work

Ok so as was explained to me the power line adaptor isn't working out great. Imo I reckons it's too far away and old wiring isn't helping. My PS4 has a better signal to the modem inside the house then using the powerline adaptor though still not great.

3 options I seem to have are:

1. Ethernet cable from house and run it out the back. Messy but probably the best connection.

2. Mesh Wifi system. Currently look at the TP Link exmaples. The Deco M5 can be got in DID and Power City for €180 which seems okay as Amazon is £160. Not 100% sure on reliability. Reviews seem quite mixed.

3. Eir Mobile broadband. The most expensive option (€360 pa) and I wouldn't know how reliable it would be either. Though a family member used one from Eir and has no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭endainoz

If your allowed to install one try setting up a nano station. It may be awkward running the ethernet cable from the main house though.

But if you can run an outdoor ethernet cable from the house it would be the most reliable.

• Advertisement

You’ll have better things to worry about than internet when the council find out about the illegal dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sorry fo the hijack but I have similar problems at times. Router is the standard one supplied by virgin and is installed in the kitchen.
    WiFi Reception at times in sitting room and upstairs and garden can be weak.

Would one of them plug things be the best option? What is a mesh system and would it be better?

Seve OB wrote: »
    Sorry fo the hijack but I have similar problems at times. Router is the standard one supplied by virgin and is installed in the kitchen.
    WiFi Reception at times in sitting room and upstairs and garden can be weak.

Would one of them plug things be the best option? What is a mesh system and would it be better?

I got a mesh one and it seems to have solved my issue. One hub connects to your Virgin Media modem via Ethernet cable and you position the others around the house to your liking. When setting everything up in the app you create your own wifi network and then connect your devices to that. Very straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I got a mesh one and it seems to have solved my issue. One hub connects to your Virgin Media modem via Ethernet cable and you position the others around the house to your liking. When setting everything up in the app you create your own wifi network and then connect your devices to that. Very straight forward.

Have you got a link to your setup

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so you ditch the virgin wifi then?
    is this the plugs system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have the TP Link M4 mesh system (3 units) and it works really well - 100mb+ in every room and there's reception in the garden from the one at the back of the house. The base unit is wired into the Virgin hub and the wifi on the hub is turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Ive tried standard isp WiFi in my older house with thick concrete walls but had poor range.

I’ve had extenders / boosters to some good effect, but always had trouble with dark spots and poor performance.

I bit the bullet and put in a unifi system with a few wireless access points and my coverage has been perfect.

I’ve recently run a cat6e to connect main house to a home office over my garage. It’s a 35m run from switch to switch and it works well. Electrically, a string cable is frowned upon as unless everything is grounded and protected on each end, a lightening strike can take everything out. Such connecting cables should be properly buried.

Might be outside budget, but in your situation, I’d consider a dedicated wireless link, designed for connection buildings. Here’s a starter for 10;

https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-building-to-building-bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

You’ll have better things to worry about than internet when the council find out about the illegal dwelling.

Bit of an assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭dam099

M4 is preferable to that one (E4). Not much of a price saving on the E4 but it only has 100Mbs ethernet ports so the max speed will always be limited to that rather than the theoretical maximums of the AC1200 WiFi.

Hi all,

I've just gotten a new router from Virgin.

Had a TP-link plug in yoke to boost the WiFi upstairs;
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/wifi-range-extenders/tp-link-re200-wifi-range-extender-ac-750-dual-band-10024654-pdt.html#srcid=11026

Things were grand until the new router was set up.
    Speeds in room with router wired/wireless around 240mbps.
    But no matter how I set up the extender , I can only get speeds around 40mbps from the extender. Useless

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
    Is it incompatible or something?

Cheers

Hi all,

I've just gotten a new router from Virgin.

Had a TP-link plug in yoke to boost the WiFi upstairs;
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/wifi-range-extenders/tp-link-re200-wifi-range-extender-ac-750-dual-band-10024654-pdt.html#srcid=11026

Things were grand until the new router was set up.
    Speeds in room with router wired/wireless around 240mbps.
    But no matter how I set up the extender , I can only get speeds around 40mbps from the extender. Useless

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
    Is it incompatible or something?

Cheers

That's about right for any wireless extender. Extenders are a very poor way of extending your network. Look into wireless mesh options, there's a big thread about it.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058072654/99

That's about right for any wireless extender. Extenders are a very poor way of extending your network. Look into wireless mesh options, there's a big thread about it.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058072654/99

Jasis.
    I've a bit of reading ahead of me.
    Haven't a clue of this stuff.

What pishes me off, is things were grand until the new router arrived.
    I'd neatly ask for my old router back.

Could it be the last router was more "powerful" in sending the WiFi signal around the house, the extender better able to pick it up?

dam099 wrote: »
    M4 is preferable to that one (E4). Not much of a price saving on the E4 but it only has 100Mbs ethernet ports so the max speed will always be limited to that rather than the theoretical maximums of the AC1200 WiFi.

Got it for a bargain on adverts unsused so I said **** it. I was eyeing up the ones that look like a smoke alarm originally.

Advertisement