Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speed when using work VPN using home boradband

Options
  • 18-02-2021 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently started a new job and I'm working from home. To connect to my work network I'm using checkpoint VPN client.
    When I connect to the VPN, the connection speed dramatically reduces. All other devices using the my home broadband are able to connect a regular high speed.

When I connect my work laptop to my phone using a hotspot the connection via VPN works fine which would suggest either my home router is causing the problem or my ISP.

Any ideas how to check if my router is somehow slowing my connection via work VPN? The router is an Tp-Link Archer MR-600.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

I'd start by asking your colleagues if they are experiencing similar issues. Could be a mis-configuration of your checkpoint client.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

degsie wrote: »
    I'd start by asking your colleagues if they are experiencing similar issues. Could be a mis-configuration of your checkpoint client.

None of them are experiencing the problem. I don't think the problem is with checkpoint as it work fine for me when I connect to the hotspot on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

rhonin wrote: »
    None of them are experiencing the problem. I don't think the problem is with checkpoint as it work fine for me when I connect to the hotspot on my phone.

Good point! Check if your router firmware is up to date.

degsie wrote: »
    Good point! Check if your router firmware is up to date.

Yep it is. This evening I'll test out an old router to see if the problem still occurs. If it does then probably an issue on ISP side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just a few ideas:
    Look at the VPN endpoint or target server. If it's not routing to the same location as your colleagues, ie in Ireland, then you'll have differing speeds. Some clients allow you to set it to your local VPN server.
    If it's not a newer work-assigned laptop, you may be struggling with the CPU utilisation due to the encryption.
    Test using a network cable rather than Wifi (if not already).
    If you're forced to use Wifi, move other devices off it and onto a cable, such as TV's and those using NetFlix/Youtube, if possible.

• Advertisement

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Just a few ideas:
    Look at the VPN endpoint or target server. If it's not routing to the same location as your colleagues, ie in Ireland, then you'll have differing speeds. Some clients allow you to set it to your local VPN server.
    If it's not a newer work-assigned laptop, you may be struggling with the CPU utilisation due to the encryption.
    Test using a network cable rather than Wifi (if not already).
    If you're forced to use Wifi, move other devices off it and onto a cable, such as TV's and those using NetFlix/Youtube, if possible.

Yeah, I tried using the network cable but same result as on Wi-Fi. It's a new laptop and it doesn't seem to have any CPU issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

rhonin wrote: »
    Any ideas how to check if my router is somehow slowing my connection via work VPN? The router is an Tp-Link Archer MR-600.

It would be useful to make clear that you're on mifi in the OP.

When you speed test on say the Speedtest.net android app it uses multiple connections (4x or more). By VPNing all these connections appear as one to the mobile network and itll treat it as such. That could be one part.

The other may be peering between your ISP and your companies office. Are both your mobile and the TP on the same mobile network?

ED E wrote: »
    It would be useful to make clear that you're on mifi in the OP.

When you speed test on say the Speedtest.net android app it uses multiple connections (4x or more). By VPNing all these connections appear as one to the mobile network and itll treat it as such. That could be one part.

The other may be peering between your ISP and your companies office. Are both your mobile and the TP on the same mobile network?

No, they are on different mobile networks.
    Over the weekend I tried a different router and I encountered the same problem. For now I will use my mobile hotspot as it works without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I had this with Sonicwall boxes and ticking this option helped. Not sure if similar option is available with your software but it helps if broadband speeds are not great

090170807327319.png?linkToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJzb25pY3dhbGwiLCJleHAiOjE2NDM2OTk0MDIsImlhdCI6MTYxMjE2MzQwMn0.yU4r7KTdxUlm5pnmg8ArxR2fP4Yx0J_KknpMzFxadvU

Advertisement