Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are cheap turbo trainers any good ?, where can i get them ?

Options
  • 18-02-2021 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Im looking for a way so i can ride my road bike indoors as Im physically incapable of doing it outside. Problem is i dont have much money. The cheapest one on wiggle was out of my budget and I dont know where to get one? do aldi /lidl still sell them ? were they any good? or any shop in galway?the sooner i can get it the better.

the reason i need one is about a month ago i went to kick a stone on the road, slipped on ice and hit my head got a concussion lost a few iq points now im trying to do some excercise on my own because too poor to get professional treatment.

100 euros is all i got. just need to move my legs. thanks for your help. hope its okay posting this here, i figured no one would read it on the other forum. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Tombom1 wrote: »
    Im looking for a way so i can ride my road bike indoors as Im physically incapable of doing it outside. Problem is i dont have much money. The cheapest one on wiggle was out of my budget and I dont know where to get one? do aldi /lidl still sell them ? were they any good? or any shop in galway?the sooner i can get it the better.

the reason i need one is about a month ago i went to kick a stone on the road, slipped on ice and hit my head got a concussion lost a few iq points now im trying to do some excercise on my own because too poor to get professional treatment.

100 euros is all i got. just need to move my legs. thanks for your help. hope its okay posting this here, i figured no one would read it on the other forum. :)

Buy one second hand. God knows how many people buy them, use them a handful of times, hate them and sell them on so buying used your getting near enough new equipment in many instances. There’s a few on both Adverts.ie and Donedeal that are within your budget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tombom1 wrote: »

Got a €60 Aldi one a few years ago for my youngest which I've since passed on to a friend. Does the job, six resistance settings and if you chuck a wireless speed and cadence sensor on can be used with a Garmin / Zwift etc... in basic mode. Agree with cee-jay-cee above, look at second hand, some < €100 options on adverts, https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_turbo+trainer/price_50-100/ and donedeal https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=turbo%20trainer&price_to=100&price_from=0 Prices are a bit high at the moment as turbo trainers are in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭raxy

Tak a look at this post, (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058116543). I got a minoura B60 from a while ago cheaper than the add on adverts. send him a message & see what he has in.

On the trainer, it's ok, the different resistence settings don't really work. If I higher the resistence using the controls then it keeps loosing tension as you cycle, hard for a bit & then easy. I leave it in the same position & use the gears on the bike & it works ok this way. Just got a speed & cadence sensor to use with it as well now.
    If your budget is 100 than this isn't a bad trainer to go for but I don't know if any other budget models would perform any better/worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Bought the Aldi one back in October with the hope that i would never need to use it. The cold, wet and windy weather a few weeks ago resulted in it being set up and used for about four days. The verdict - very low resistance no matter what setting you use (this may be an issue with all magnetic turbos); you need to budget for a turbo-specific tyre or have a few old tyres you don't mind wearing through; not too noisy and pretty straightforward to set up.

Advertisement