Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wiring job - how to future proof?

Options
  • 17-02-2021 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Very general question. I'm getting my house rewired as soon as possible. I'm not in a position to install solar PV just yet but will be in a couple of months after the rewiring job.

Is there anything I need to discuss with the electrician about the solar PV side of things? Is there any work which could be done now which would avoid problems or more work later on?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

47akak wrote: »
    Very general question. I'm getting my house rewired as soon as possible. I'm not in a position to install solar PV just yet but will be in a couple of months after the rewiring job.

Is there anything I need to discuss with the electrician about the solar PV side of things? Is there any work which could be done now which would avoid problems or more work later on?

Wiring from the consumer unit to where your invertor/battery will be. Also data cables. I’d talk to your preferred PV installer now and ask them what you can do now in order to make the PV install easier or not as intrusive.

Also consider data points to all tv locations and some form of house WiFi network.
    Maybe a central coms unit.

Wire to outside for future EV charger and a data cable for smart charger if you go that route. Make sure there’s room on the board for the EV RCBO. You could in stall the RCBO, wiring and just stick an external socket out there for now. Important thing is to make sure the wiring is 6mm Sq. And the RCBO is 40a.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

.and wherever you run data cables (CAT) don’t run one, run multiple, you will require multiple and in any case they do fail, also make sure they are labelled and tested.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

slave1 wrote: »
    .and wherever you run data cables (CAT) don’t run one, run multiple, you will require multiple and in any case they do fail, also make sure they are labelled and tested.
    "One is none"

It's just as easy to run 2 when your running them.

Having a wired network is great, less congestion on the wifi,

Having somewhere central for everything is good too, so you can have a patch panel and network switches.

Advertisement