Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with this fitting

Options
  • 17-02-2021 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭

Screenshot_20210217-134121.jpg

Hi my dad is having trouble blanking off a T fitting.
    Can anyone advise?
    He said the water pump is running all the time as there is a leak and he wants to blank this off to narrow down where the problem is but a local hardware told him it was a very old fitting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats the old style philmac couplings that used inserts. The new ones don't. So basically I don't think you'll find one off the shelf anywhere.

Think you will just have to leave a bit of pipe on that and put a blanking plug on that (or bend it over and put a jubilee clip on it)?

Other option is to replace the whole fitting with the new style. However its tricky to get the old inserts out of the pipe so you will need some slack or have to use a joiner.

Wake me up when it's all over.

If he has an old style straight joiner then remove the T and replace it temporarily with the straight one. Perhpas theres a straight joiner that can be borrowed from the pipework he wants to disconect temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

If he has an old style straight joiner then remove the T and replace it temporarily with the straight one. Perhpas theres a straight joiner that can be borrowed from the pipework he wants to disconect temporarily.

Thanks for your reply. I mentioned that however the problem with that is that the two pipes still connected are different sizes as one of them is 30 years old.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I mentioned that however the problem with that is that the two pipes still connected are different sizes as one of them is 30 years old.

No problem.

The different pipe sizes are accomadated for with different size inserts and external clamping washers which you aleady have.

The body of that T has the same size fittings on each joint. The inserts all have the same body size (the bit with the washer) and different sized ends for insertnig in different sized pipes. Note they are colour coded.

As you can see from your picture the inserts stay in the pipe along with the washers and the nuts.

That means you can remove the body of the T and replace it with another old style joiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

A philmac transitional fitting will sort that.

Get rid of the tee entirely

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    A philmac transitional fitting will sort that.

Get rid of the tee entirely

I think I read that the idea is to troubleshoot a leak by blanking off one side of the tee so its still needed. My suggestion was just to find a straight joiner of the old style and temporarily use that. All the OP's father needs is the central barrel off an old style straight joiner because all the other bits are already on the ends of the pipe.

Advertisement