Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMFG...

Options
  • 16-02-2021 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going insane, I handed in my notice back in December as I got a much better offer but I have a 3 month notice period that my manager has refused to negotiate on.
    For the past month I have been given as little as possible to do which means my work day starts at 9am and I'm done by max 11am. Working remotely.

I have asked my team upteen times if they need help, if I can do anything etc to which essentially falls on deaf ears as I believe they are beyond pissed off that I am leaving.

I've tried repeadetly to motivate myself to do some online courses but seriously struggling to the point I worry that in my new role I will not have any motivation to actually work.

Anyone ever have something like and if yes what did you do to overcome it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Well, you can be paid to do nothing, or you can be paid to fap. The choice is yours.

Enjoy it. You're living the dream. Get a good book. Cook a good lunch and take 2 hours to eat it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Play your PS5 or XBOX and be paid for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Kimbot wrote: »
    Play your PS5 or XBOX and be paid for it :pac:

This. Dont even bother doing the other work or do it really half arsed. Play games whilst getting paid.

BTW, They cant actually make you work the three months. You can just leave and start a new job. Yea, you've burned a bridge, but there's no real world repercussions beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Did all of those :D but 8 hours a day of it is wearing somewhat thin.
    Just pisses me off that I could have been released earlier to start the new role instead of sitting on my ass staring at the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Fancy doing some of my work?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

bear1 wrote: »
    Did all of those :D but 8 hours a day of it is wearing somewhat thin.
    Just pisses me off that I could have been released earlier to start the new role instead of sitting on my ass staring at the wall.

Netflix/Gaming or find a new hobby :D Its hard to keep yourself going with lockdowns and all but youll just have to find a way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Jesus wept.... First World mid pandemic problems.

I've a pile of data that needs to be organised and it's a pain in the hole. I'll happily outsource it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AlanG

You can just leave - you employer would have to prove loss and an inability to replace you in order to do anything about you working less than your 3 months notice. They won't bring you to court if they haven't suffered a loss that they can show. Proving that is very difficult unless you are are particularly high paid and can't be replaced. There are practically no cases of anyone other than management boards, entertainers and sports people being brought to court for leaving a job without giving notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,087 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This. Dont even bother doing the other work or do it really half arsed. Play games whilst getting paid.

BTW, They cant actually make you work the three months. You can just leave and start a new job. Yea, you've burned a bridge, but there's no real world repercussions beyond that.

Truth, they are not going to sue you. You have secured a new job, go and fûck them...like most employers they’d probably be the first to look for extras, favors and ‘flexibility’... but in an instance where they could do the same for you, you’ve been given the finger, no compromise whatsoever... fûck them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I had a 3 month notice period once OP that my employer would not agree to reduce. So after about 2 weeks of my notice period I mentioned that my new employer was the industry leader competitor. They paid me the rest of my notice period to go home and stay at home and not work. Gardening leave.
    It was a great 10 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

Why don’t you just start the new role? Given you have so little to do on the wind down from your old job, do both and get paid on the double for the next month.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do something outrageous, get your willy out and wiggle it about

that way they'll sack you on the spot

although if you're looking for a reference.......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do some volunteering https://www.i-vol.ie/

I can only dream of having fcuk all to do.
    Absolutely up the walls at work.

*continues browsing boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm going insane, I handed in my notice back in December as I got a much better offer but I have a 3 month notice period that my manager has refused to negotiate on.
    For the past month I have been given as little as possible to do which means my work day starts at 9am and I'm done by max 11am. Working remotely.

I have asked my team upteen times if they need help, if I can do anything etc to which essentially falls on deaf ears as I believe they are beyond pissed off that I am leaving.

I've tried repeadetly to motivate myself to do some online courses but seriously struggling to the point I worry that in my new role I will not have any motivation to actually work.

Anyone ever have something like and if yes what did you do to overcome it?

I had the same worry after I had essentially downed tools during my 3 month notice period that I would not be motivated for the new job. Honestly, just relax about that, you'll be motivated in the new job, although it might take a few weeks to get back up to speed. The positive is that the new job will allow you a bit of time to get familiar with things so it's unlikely you'll need to hit the ground running in terms of being mad busy.

In terms of the notice, for employees not seeing out their notice, it is a situation where I have to ask; "why not just tell them you are not seeing out your notice?". If you are happy to only be paid for the days you actually work, then the employer is not actually losing any salary from overpaying and therefore would need to demonstrate an additional loss from you leaving early. If you have proof of not being given anything to do the last few months, they will struggle to claim that it was a loss to them that you left early. In addition, a company does not want to publicise that it is suing an employee for such a minor amount of damages. Now, this is not advice, just a question for you and would not be advisable, particularly if you are quite senior and at executive level where your position is highly important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Have you considered going over your manager’s head? If they refused to negotiate but are now not giving you anything to do, might be worth pointing out to the higher-ups that the manager is costing the company money by not releasing you.

It could be they are recruiting for a replacement and need to keep you on hand for training/handover though?

If you do escalate you’ll have lost that manager as a reference, so up to you if you want to burn that bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Cheers all for the feedback.
    Re the notice the period and working both jobs, not legal where I am (Poland) so that's a no go as certificates of employment are needed when starting the new job which can only be received from the previous employer.
    My only option is a sick leave which means I'll lose 20% of my salary which is a big ask at the moment.
    Pain in the hole of a place but the spite just drives me up the wall

Advertisement