Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone limit connections to internet to 32

Options
  • 16-02-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I have just gotten of the phone to Vodafone tech support because there is a issue with my modem crashing.

She told me there is more than 32 devices connected to the modem, I sad yes there can be up to 50-60 sometimes what difference does that make? She said max connection to the internet on a domestic connection is 32 and my modem can't handle it and crashes. I asked her why did my modem hand out 255 ip addresses then and she didn't understand what I was taking about.

My modem has worked fine for 3 years.

New houses have 20 odd ip light switches, thermostats, cameras, won't be long before there is no room for phones, pads and tv's.

Anyone else come across this issue, and can it be sorted?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I have just gotten of the phone to Vodafone tech support because there is a issue with my modem crashing.

She told me there is more than 32 devices connected to the modem, I sad yes there can be up to 50-60 sometimes what difference does that make? She said max connection to the internet on a domestic connection is 32 and my modem can't handle it and crashes. I asked her why did my modem hand out 255 ip addresses then and she didn't understand what I was taking about.

My modem has worked fine for 3 years.

New houses have 20 odd ip light switches, thermostats, cameras, won't be long before there is no room for phones, pads and tv's.

Anyone else come across this issue, and can it be sorted?

Thanks.
    What router do you have ? Refer to specs per your model.

32 is pretty standard limit for home grade routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

32 is a radio limit. The WLAN can support that many in some cases. The unit could probably handle 500 wired.

Work out what's actually falling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Just called again and got different guy and you're right ED E it is radio limit so the poor girl didn't have a clue what she was on about.

So there is no reason up to 100 wired and even another 100 with external WiFi AP

It's Hg659 Huawai I think.

Is the modem crashing then or are you losing sync?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Just get a wifi mesh system that can handle more than 32 connections. Those stock VF modems are fairly poor at handling traffic anyways.

• Advertisement

I have a 24 port switch & 3 Ubiquiti AP's, I only use the vodafone router for a 2.5 ghz wifi radio because it doesn't have an ethernet port.

It is crashing, DHCP stops working and the WAN & Internet lights stay flashing when I plug out the DSL cable. Has to be re-booted last year every few weeks then every week now every couple of days.

The 2.5ghz radio can turn off at any stage with wired internet still working.

Just replace it with your own VDSL2 modem that supports vectoring IMHO.

I have a 24 port switch & 3 Ubiquiti AP's
    All WiFi devices that come through Ubi dont count on 32 limit.
    I only use the vodafone router for a 2.5 ghz wifi radio because it doesn't have an ethernet port.
    Lost you here, why exactly you using it if you have x3 Ubi ?

Using it for a WiFi internet radio which works off 2.5ghz only and can't turn off 5ghz on ubiquity https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/Radios/Internet-Radios/

They are going to send me out a newer model modem, i'll try that and if the same issues i'll get my own modem. Apparently Ubiquiti's USG does the job.

Using it for a WiFi internet radio which works off 2.5ghz only and can't turn off 5ghz on ubiquity https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/Radios/Internet-Radios/

They are going to send me out a newer model modem, i'll try that and if the same issues i'll get my own modem. Apparently Ubiquiti's USG does the job.
    Dont have Ubi (yet) , but i am certain it should have option to setup 2.4GHZ on separate SSID

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Dont have Ubi (yet) , but i am certain it should have option to setup 2.4GHZ on separate SSID

I dont have one yet either but I believe they should support multiple SSIDs as well, so you could potentially have a common SSID to allow band steering and a separate one for devices that dont work well with combined 2.4/5 SSID's. so something like

2.4 SSID1 / 5 SSID1
    2.4 SSID2

Nope and I have trawled the forums.

You can change the throughput only on the individual frequencies to force a device to pick the 2.5GHz rather then the 5GHz.

Creates havoc with smart plugs and wifi light switches as they are 2.5Ghz only and when you connect to the single ssid they always choose the 5GHz signal and throw back an error.

dam099 wrote: »
    I dont have one yet either but I believe they should support multiple SSIDs as well, so you could potentially have a common SSID to allow band steering and a separate one for devices that dont work well with combined 2.4/5 SSID's. so something like

2.4 SSID1 / 5 SSID1
    2.4 SSID2

Yes this kinda works, you can have multiple ssid's but each one is bound to both bands.

All is fine until a power cut and the try reconnect to the 5Ghz forcing factory resets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Yes this kinda works, you can have multiple ssid's but each one is bound to both bands.

I would have expected better from Ubiquity given their rep. My own (different brand) router doesn't do multiple SSID's per se but has guest WiFi that is splittable so can be used to similar effect.

All is fine until a power cut and the try reconnect to the 5Ghz forcing factory resets
    Review your configs.
    https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/categories/200320654-UniFi-Wireless
    unifi-ap-standalone-setup-radios-config.jpg

Don't have those buttons, I wish I did.

Config.jpg

There has to be the way.
    Its either mis-configured or configured to keep it (uplink perhaps ?)

See https://community.ui.com/questions/set-AP-to-2-4-and-5-GHz-on-different-ssid/256839e0-5e4e-42fa-9581-a48bfb19cec9

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishfire

Don't have those buttons, I wish I did.

There has to be the way. Its either mis-configured or configured to keep it (uplink perhaps ?)

On newer controller versions this is set at SSID level, go to Settings -> Wireless Networks -> "SSID" edit, then under advanced options you can set the "WiFi Band" option.

As mentioned above a separate SSID for IOT devices set to 2.4GHz is best in this case as it will never jump back to 5GHz

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

irishfire wrote: »
    On newer controller versions this is set at SSID level, go to Settings -> Wireless Networks -> "SSID" edit, then under advanced options you can set the "WiFi Band" option.

As mentioned above a separate SSID for IOT devices set to 2.4GHz is best in this case as it will never jump back to 5GHz

^^ this is spot on. Have similar set up but did it other way around. Have a 2.4/5Ghz combined ssid for most kids/family devices (eg ipads/tv/sky) including cameras/wiz bulbs/harmony hub that are all 2.4Ghz and use the 5Ghz said for work laptop/iPad/my phone. Have eir gear bridged with an USG. Works perfectly.

Brilliant, the new update has it, life gets easier..

Everything is working fine now through the cloud key controller but the browser controller is showing everything either adoption failed or disconnected, why is this? Will only one work at a time?

• Advertisement

Everything is working fine now through the cloud key controller but the browser controller is showing everything either adoption failed or disconnected, why is this? Will only one work at a time?

I'm going to guess you had this set up on a laptop originally but then moved to a cloud key and either reset everything and reconfigured, or backed up from the laptop and restored to the cloud key.

You can only have one active controller to a device, so you should see them disconnected on the old controller. If you navigate to the IP address of the cloud key on your laptop and login you will see the controller that is actually active. This should be set on a static IP also by the way.

Probably best to uninstall unifi off your laptop if you have moved to a cloud key, I work a lot with unifi both for my own company and for clients and honestly haven't had the controller installed on my laptop in a few years at this point

I'm going to guess you had this set up on a laptop originally but then moved to a cloud key and either reset everything and reconfigured, or backed up from the laptop and restored to the cloud key.

You can only have one active controller to a device, so you should see them disconnected on the old controller. If you navigate to the IP address of the cloud key on your laptop and login you will see the controller that is actually active. This should be set on a static IP also by the way.

Probably best to uninstall unifi off your laptop if you have moved to a cloud key, I work a lot with unifi both for my own company and for clients and honestly haven't had the controller installed on my laptop in a few years at this point

I also have a work laptop with multiple sites saved to the unifi controller. Can I migrate all these over to the cloud key and then as you say delete the unifi?

I also have a work laptop with multiple sites saved to the unifi controller. Can I migrate all these over to the cloud key and then as you say delete the unifi?

Yep you can do, if all sites have internet and you have no more than 35-40 devices total you can create extra sites on the CloudKey and have them all managed centrally.

You'll need to do a port forward on the router in front of the CloudKey for 2 or 3 ports. If you don't have a static IP at that site you can use a free dynamic DNS to keep it working.

Be aware that when you're setting this up you need to SSH into the device locally and set the new inform address. If you google UniFi L3 adoption they have a page explaining it or drop me a PM and I can send you on a guide I done for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Sorry to restart an old thread but I am encountering the same issues as the original poster. I have the standard Vodafone router (FTTC) and it is experiencing continual dropouts. Multiple calls to the first level support and they are telling me its my issue and that I have more than 32 devices connected to the router. I have more (devices, smart bulbs etc) but these are being handled by a mesh wifi system (Deco x50, with wired backhaul) which has been working for almost 2 years with the Vodafone router before these dropouts started 2 months ago.

Is there anything to this or is this just first level support stuff?

One post above mentioned using a 'better' router, can anyone recommend one and where I could get the configuration to set this up?

Advertisement