Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people care so much about the reputation of their boards accounts?

Options
  • 16-02-2021 1:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭

It's the impression. Firstly, people like to be right every bit as much with their anonymous online accounts as they do in person. I guess it's the way people are hard wired.

I seem to notice people make a point to never reveal their flaws. I understand that this could come back at you in real life... but on boards, I couldn't give a damn what someone brings up about my past.

What also gets a bit annoying then is when posters are more concerned about living up to that reputation that they think they have gained, than they are about having a frank discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

It's the impression. Firstly, people like to be right every bit as much with their anonymous online accounts as they do in person. I guess it's the way people are hard wired.

People make a point to never reveal their flaws. I understand that this could come back at you in real life... but on boards I couldn't give a damn what someone says to me.

What also gets a bit annoying then is when posters are more concerned about living up to that reputation that they think they have gained, than they are about having a frank discussion.

Do they? people close boards accounts at least semi-regularly I'd say so I don't think they're that highly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

megaten wrote: »
    Do they? people close boards accounts at least semi-regularly I'd say so I don't think they're that highly.
    Do they? I'm just going by what I see myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I couldn't give a rats a#s

Do they? I'm just going by what I see myself.

Seemed regular enough a few years ago anyways, took a break from reading after hours how a good while until all the crazies got siloed off into their own forum.

To answer your original question I'd say its because Ireland is such a small place. It wouldn't take a whole lot of information to be indetified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

megaten wrote: »
    .. .until all the crazies got siloed off into their own forum.

Do you not think the dam has burst on that one now?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Well I don't actually think siloing off crazies actually works, but its the second best thing to banning them. I'll take it over nothing. At least I can browse for the odd good thread without having to go through reams of the bad kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Yup, AH is basically CA now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

It's nice to be nice OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Definitely not as much as real life, but if you are going to interract on boards in discussions you make it much more difficult for yourself if someone who doesn't agree with you can quickly dig up a hundred ridiculous, unbalanced comments you've made previously. I've seen that done countless times in threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Definitely not as much as real life, but if you are going to interract on boards in discussions you make it much more difficult for yourself if someone who doesn't agree with you can quickly dig up a hundred ridiculous, unbalanced comments you've made previously. I've seen that done countless times in threads.

It can be mildly amusing to the observer, if two posters get into a deep dive of each others posting history.

• Advertisement

I couldn't give a rats a#s

Based

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

It can be mildly amusing to the observer, if two posters get into a deep dive of each others posting history.

The second someone does that, whatever respect I had for them (usually very little anyway, to be fair) goes right out the window. The ultimate in pathetic internet behaviour.

Its a strange thing OP. Some users can become very attached to their account and even forget that's all it is, an account used to interact in an Internet forum. I used to care a lot about my previous account and reputation. I also cared a lot about Boards as a whole, in particular After Hours. If there were feedback discussions there I'd be giving suggestions and constructive criticism.

Nowadays I couldn't give a damn about this profile. I still like the site but I have no sense of loyalty to it or even to this account. Now and then I notice moderation decisions and interventions that leave me scratching my head but whatever. It is just a website at the end of the day.

Advertisement