Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highlighter kits at home-help!

Options
  • 16-02-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Has anyone got a recommendation for at home highlights.
    I couldn’t get into my hairdresser during December due to higher demand after COVID closure. Then another lockdown happened.

My highlights haven’t been done since July and it’s driving me crazy! Checked a lot of pharmacy’s but they don’t stock highlighter kits with hat and pin. Anyone have good recommendations. Please help

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It might not be what you want to hear, but my only advice is not to attempt a home kit. Lifting hair colour is incredibly hard at home, highlights are incredibly hard at home - both together is a disaster waiting to happen that's absolutely certain to be worse than root regrowth :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Thanks for the reply. Desperate times cause for desperate measures. What is everyone else doing to manage the hair situation?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hats, hairbands, distractingly sparkly clips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh i know the frustration. I hate my hair at the minute and I only got it done in December. But as Faith said, don’t attempt it, just wait it out. Use this time to try and nourish your hair as much as possible to it will be in great shape for when the salons do reopen. I am as desperate as they come for salons to open but I’d wait another year before touching my own head with any kind of shop brought highlighting kit. It’s never worth it and it never looks right. My own hairdresser who has all the gear at her beck and call should she need to do it, isn’t even going to attempt doing her own highlights. It’s something you’ll always need someone else to do for you with the correct products.

I’m wearing beanie hats for now and then in the summer prob just a peaked cap for my walks and then straw hats/fedoras for dressier days. Can you do french plaits? I find my hair looks a million times better when it’s french plaited and my roots still noticeable but kind of blend in

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I tried to lift the hair colour of my mother in this quarantine several times from the DIY video. :D Unluckily, it didn't succeed. Better to visit your hairdresser because things are getting normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I started going grey but thankfully was able to just blend the grey bits along with a could of rotten grown out highlights with a dark blonde dye.

I had balyage and my hairdresser had been doing a dragged root for me the last few times so it would be easier to maintain. Might be worth thinking about doing something like that if you can next time you go back to hairdressers.

Advertisement