Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cursor much too fast!

Options
  • 16-02-2021 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Trying to navigate through the BIOS or Setup screens on my PC results in a totally useless experience as the Cursor moves way too fast.

So much so, that in a list of approx eight options I can only select the first or last entry because the cursor moves at breakneck speed I cannot stop it on any of the entries between first and last!

Any ideas please?

Comments

Sorry if this is a stupid question but have you tried using the arrow keys on your keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,302 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does the mouse have a DPI switch on it?

Try updating the bios - the mouse drivers in bios are not the best to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Type pointers into the windows search box. That will bring up the Mouse Proprties and you can choose mouse motion speed from there

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mordeith wrote: »
    Type pointers into the windows search box. That will bring up the Mouse Proprties and you can choose mouse motion speed from there

That won't work in WinPE or the bios. Try reading the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

ED E wrote: »
    That won't work in WinPE or the bios. Try reading the OP.

My bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Sorry if this is a stupid question but have you tried using the arrow keys on your keyboard?

Yes. That's what I'm using as I don't seem to have any mouse support in either of the Boot or Setup screens.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Does the mouse have a DPI switch on it?

Try updating the bios - the mouse drivers in bios are not the best to start with

No switch of any description on the mouse and no support for it in BIOS/SETUP.

peking97 wrote: »
    No switch of any description on the mouse and no support for it in BIOS/SETUP.

Check for the latest bios update
    What's the MoBo model?

To the best of my knowledge I'm already on the latest BIOS A07 from 2011.
    It's an old machine, DELL Dimension 9150/XPS400 but was running Win 10 up until recently!
    All of a sudden I got an error message advising that I need to do a Repair.
    I've downloaded the repair tool from MS but can't navigate properly in the BIOS or SETUP screens due to the excessive cursor speed.

Try a different mouse or borrow one

• Advertisement

I think part of the problem is both the Keyboard and Mouse are connected via a dual PS2 to USB dongle as the machine does not have a true PS2 connector. I'll keep trying anyway!

Turns out it was a keyboard problem all along even though I had tried two different ones but they both were PS/2 types connected via a PS/2 to USB dongle. Once I borrowed a proper USB keyboard the problem was sorted.

Advertisement