Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pellet stoves

Options
  • 15-02-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Thinking of getting a pellet stove as a room heater what are the pros and cons what are the best pellet stoves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I have one which I can't speak highly enough of. It is just a space heater so does not heat water or rads. It is in a large space with a vaulted ceiling and a lot of glazing, and even the smallest model has more than sufficient output. It is very effective and very clean - I empty the ash max once a week in the winter, hoover out the firebox and clean the glass. I buy 10 or 20 bags of pellets at a time and that typically lasts for ages. It is operated daily through out the winter and very little in the summer.

It is about 12 years old and going strong, qualified for a partial grant at the time it was installed and has had a few parts replaced.

Pros:
    - very clean (stove and flue)
    - easy to operate, can be automated and set to come on with a timer etc.
    - large output so very suitable for a large space (probably not so much for a small room)
    - pellets are widely available now, in all Wodies and plenty of other places
    - flue installation was relatively simple

Cons:
    - nowhere to burn firewood, offcuts, logs etc.
    - flame is not like a traditional fire (this doesn't bother me at all)
    - fewer options for servicing/repair etc.

Advertisement