Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical work required when switching FTTH providers?

Options
  • 15-02-2021 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Bit of a weird situation...

I signed up to FTTH with Airwire, but asked them to cancel a few days after, without having FTTH installed - we've never had it in the house, it's a new install.

I then signed up to Sky and had a KN engineer booked for tomorrow.

This morning I get a call from KN mentioning about a broadband install so i thought happy days - it's just a day early.

Then after the ONT and cabling is all done I get a phone call from OpenEir asking me about my install tomorrow. I explained the situation and asked whether I still needed the KN engineer tomorrow and they said no, so cancelled the appointment.

But now that same OpenEir office is saying that a KN engineer would still need to come out tomorrow to make sure my Sky activation goes live.

I guess the question is - what physical work in the estate/house needs to be done when you switch provider?

The FTTH install was done this morning - I have an ONT on the wall and the engineer said the line was live and available right now. My Sky Modem arrived this morning. Sky are due to activate my FTTH tomorrow. Is there something else that's done when you switch provider which would mean KN would still need to come out tomorrow?

Not that I've technically switched, but the KN install today was apparently booked by Airwire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You should have let Airwire install then requested a transfer. Skys order is now a new line install not a transfer of services. The ISP staff on here will know but I would guess UG will respond to Skys order with a failure code and Sky will have to start over. That'd be my guess anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

ED E wrote: »
    You should have let Airwire install then requested a transfer. Skys order is now a new line install not a transfer of services. The ISP staff on here will know but I would guess UG will respond to Skys order with a failure code and Sky will have to start over. That'd be my guess anyways.

What's UG?

I did let Airwire install because at the time I thought it was my Sky order coming early. I didn't even think of asking why they had come early, I just assumed because so many new orders were going into the estate that it was just lucky.

So yeah, possibly a KN engineer coming out tomorrow for absolutely nothing. The Sky website still says it's being activated tomorrow.

How long does a transfer of services take? From what I can tell speaking to Sky they think it's going to activate tomorrow but Airwire also have it activated. Bit of a mess really!

Does a KN engineer actually have to do anything for services to be swapped? Like at the exchange or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KN may come and swap the ONT, if so let that proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

ED E wrote: »
    KN may come and swap the ONT, if so let that proceed.

Is it a different ONT for different suppliers then?

Advertisement