Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendation for 5.1 amp replacement

• 15-02-2021 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi
    Have a ageing but expensive-at-the-time Yamaha RX-V4600 AV amp that is now approaching 15. Sound is still super through B&W M1 satellites + B&W Sub.
    However technology is outdated and it's not family friendly, and very bulky.

Speakers still A1, so just want a quality sounding AV amp for 5.1, no other speakers will ever be fitted for this. Source is all TC, movies, streaming.

Budget not a problem, but no point going all-out on a bells & whistles system that will never be used. All about the sound quality.
    Thinking more Yamaha, Denon, Marantz?

All thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

fortyplus wrote: »
    Hi
    Have a ageing but expensive-at-the-time Yamaha RX-V4600 AV amp that is now approaching 15. Sound is still super through B&W M1 satellites + B&W Sub.
    However technology is outdated and it's not family friendly, and very bulky.

Speakers still A1, so just want a quality sounding AV amp for 5.1, no other speakers will ever be fitted for this. Source is all TC, movies, streaming.

Budget not a problem, but no point going all-out on a bells & whistles system that will never be used. All about the sound quality.
    Thinking more Yamaha, Denon, Marantz?

All thoughts welcome.

What are you really missing on current setup?

The only thing that comes to my mind is HDMI ARC, but that can be flaky and don't work either. Apart from that your AVR seems to have it all; DD, DTS, some HDMI inputs. You won't be using Atmos so that's not missed either.

If you want something compact, Marantz NR1510 might be a good option for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

As an alternative, I’d consider a Denon AVRX2700. https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-14159-denon-avrx2700-black-lots-in-stock-dolby-atmos-and-dts-x-av-receiver.aspx Denon have a bulletproof reputation, and this would suit your needs no problem - both Denon and Marantz are part of the same parent company, you wouldn’t go wrong with either.

Cheers,

Ritz

The Ritz wrote: »
    As an alternative, I’d consider a Denon AVRX2700. https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-14159-denon-avrx2700-black-lots-in-stock-dolby-atmos-and-dts-x-av-receiver.aspx Denon have a bulletproof reputation, and this would suit your needs no problem - both Denon and Marantz are part of the same parent company, you wouldn’t go wrong with either.

OP was complaining that existing AVR is very bulky - the X2700 won't be a big improvement in compactness department... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jumping on this thread if the OP doesn't mind. My 5 year old Pioneer VSX-930 is giving the dreaded "AMP ERR", looks like a short of some sort. I'm not getting it fixed, put it on adverts.ie for parts or repair if anyone is interested

Linky

Tempted to buy the above Denon as its replacement, it seems well priced at €629 and has excellent reviews. I will be using it mostly to connect my PC to it and for use with my monitor audio bronze speakers (I also have a subwoofer, centre and rear speakers, but not connected yet) and to connect my headphones to it. Wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I do appreciate very good quality output. My headphones are AKG Reference K812

My question: if I upped my budget, would I be able to get something substantially better?

Anyone? I know it's a quiet forum but it seems very quiet in here :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Anyone? I know it's a quiet forum but it seems very quiet in here :D

Bigger AVR typically means:
    - more output power - do you really need that much power?! It gets uncomfortably laud in my room when mine outputs 20W to the speakers, rest is handled by power amplifier in the sub. You might need ~100W per channel for really big rooms - like 50sqm...
    - preamp outputs - look at point above. Do you plan connecting the separate power amps or powered speakers?
    - more HDMI inputs - FireStick / GoogleTV, Sky, BlueRay and PS5. How many more do you need?
    - second HDMI Output - what for?! Seriously, what for? I understand two of those in a BR player, but at the AVR?
    - very budget AVR tend to artificially remove some DSP features (such as room compensation, dialogue enhancement etc), but the Denon you're looking is not at that price level.
    - there might be slight improvement in musical abilities too. But if you're using MA Bronze, you're not that golden-eared... :]

IMHO X2700 is a solid, mid range proposition. 99% people don't need nor notice spending more.

I'm not interested in any of the above. Only 1 HDMI output is fine if I should setup a projector. Not planning to buy any new speakers or headphones either. The only thing that is important to me over what the X2700 can do is sound quality, both through my Monitor Audio Bronze speakers (30% of my use) and through my AKG headphones (70% of my use, that's why I spent a good bit of money on these and yes I do like quality sound, but the budget to go audiophile just isn't there :p)

And for something completely different, how would this suit?

Linky

Linky

It's a question of what is better: Italian Apple or Australian Steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Linky

That's a stereo amplifier rather than 5.1

If you are interested in stereo, a budget of €1000 will go a long way. Cloney Audio have a used section that might have something.

• Advertisement

Had a look there a few days ago as I saw it recommended in this forum, but didn't see anything suitable

As for what I want, yeah should be 5.1 really. I'm moving from my attic (where I can only listen to stuff on my headphones most of the time) to a large garden shed / room, where I don't have to be anywhere near as quiet, so will use headphones a lot less. Will probably want some sort of home cinema in there too. So I should buy based on my future needs, not my current needs

This one is really nice for €600, but I can't collect and someone else local to him can, so that's me out

Linky

Would I notice the better quality of it over the X2700 or would my speakers be the weakest link? No plan to spend big money to upgrade them. Would I notice a big improvement in sound on my AKGs?

Would I notice the better quality of it over the X2700?

No, you won't. From 2700 to 3600 is just one step up (and one year back) - you'll get support for more speakers, but not necessarily better quality DACs or power amps.

If you want to go into dark place called sound quality, turn your attention to Yamaha Aventage AVRs (RX-Axxxx).

Thanks a million all, a friend who's into audio said the same. So I actually saved myself a lot of money and got below second hand Denon, in as new condition with the original box and all for €150. The owner had actually upgraded to the X2700 :)

Linky

Now anybody want my broken VSX-930?

Thanks a million all, a friend who's into audio said the same. So I actually saved myself a lot of money and got below second hand Denon, in as new condition with the original box and all for €150. The owner had actually upgraded to the X2700 :)

Linky

Now anybody want my broken VSX-930?

That's about right price for the 2113. Wear well.

Advertisement