Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I travel to Ireland if I have been vaccinated ?

Options
  • 15-02-2021 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My parents in the UK have both had first doses of vaccines and second doses should follow within 12 weeks. My question is if anyone has seen guidance showing that they would be able to travel into Ireland once they have had their second doses??

To my mind, once vaccinated people should be free to travel without quarantine restrictions. Which will, as an added bonus help the economy start to recover.

Interested in people views.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,344 ✭✭✭✭ted1

gertie31 wrote: »
    My parents in the UK have both had first doses of vaccines and second doses should follow within 12 weeks. My question is if anyone has seen guidance showing that they would be able to travel into Ireland once they have had their second doses??

To my mind, once vaccinated people should be free to travel without quarantine restrictions. Which will, as an added bonus help the economy start to recover.

Interested in people views.
    Thanks

Being vaccinated doesn’t stop you from transmitting the virus. You can still carry it, you just won’t develop symptoms.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e2374-extension-of-level-5-restrictions-and-introduction-of-measures-for-international-travel/#international-travel

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

International travel will be dependent on the level of rollout of the vaccines in the destination country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gertie31

Appreciate the views. Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If any proof of vaccination is required prior to travel it will be be from the home country before they let you leave as the won't want you bringing the virus back in.
    Destination country won't care too much about people coming in as they just won't let people in until their population is sufficiently vaccinated and your state of vaccination would be irrelevant.

But essentially I can't see it becoming a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

robinph wrote: »
    If any proof of vaccination is required prior to travel it will be be from the home country before they let you leave as the won't want you bringing the virus back in.

But the point is you can still bring it in even if vaccinated?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Caranica wrote: »
    But the point is you can still bring it in even if vaccinated?

No, the point is that no country should be letting you in until their own population is sufficiently vaccinated. If they are asking for your vaccination status then you should reconsider if it actually sensible to travel there in the first place.

For example, New Zealand currently has practically zero cases. If they take their time about vaccination because they have no need to rush and can let the rest of the world worry about that for now, they are still not going to be letting you in just because you've been vaccinated. They will still stick you in a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks regardless of any vacancies. Their only concern is their local population.

If Israel reaches 90% vaccination though and decide to open their borders your vaccination status is largely irrelevant as the 90% of their own population vaccinated is what will protect them. They would probably get you to take tests before and after travelling still, but if you've been vaccinated doesn't really matter. They are only interested if you are carrying it, but mostly at that point they wouldn't care if their high level of vaccination is protecting them from transmission as well.

Edit: asking for vaccination certificate to travel just creates a new form of forged document, and for zero practical use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Vic_08

robinph wrote: »
    No, the point is that no country should be letting you in until their own population is sufficiently vaccinated. If they are asking for your vaccination status then you should reconsider if it actually sensible to travel there in the first place.

For example, New Zealand currently has practically zero cases. If they take their time about vaccination because they have no need to rush and can let the rest of the world worry about that for now, they are still not going to be letting you in just because you've been vaccinated. They will still stick you in a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks regardless of any vacancies. Their only concern is their local population.

If Israel reaches 90% vaccination though and decide to open their borders your vaccination status is largely irrelevant as the 90% of their own population vaccinated is what will protect them. They would probably get you to take tests before and after travelling still, but if you've been vaccinated doesn't really matter. They are only interested if you are carrying it, but mostly at that point they wouldn't care if their high level of vaccination is protecting them from transmission as well.

Edit: asking for vaccination certificate to travel just creates a new form of forged document, and for zero practical use.

Considering an (cough) Irish crime gang has already been flagged as producing fake covid test certs...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-gang-forging-negative-covid-19-tests-for-european-travellers-europol-warns-1.4473032?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Firish-gang-forging-negative-covid-19-tests-for-european-travellers-europol-warns-1.4473032

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

For those of us who have travelled widely we know of the WHO yellow book which lists your vaccinations. Easy to fake certainly, but once we get to September it would be easier to actually get the vaccination in the first place as we should have broad availability.

You probably will have a few scenarios

1. Travelling from country A to country B which both have reached a high level of vaccination, i.e. extremely low incidence rate (lower than we got to last Summer). No formality, just go. The EU will likely deploy this to replace the traffic light system and quickly globally a similar attitude will follow

2. Travelling from country A to country B where one have reached a high level of vaccination, i.e. extremely low incidence rate, but the other has not vaccination likely to be required in at least one direction (read travelling to India from Brazil, Yellow Fever)

3. Some countries playing the zero COVID game will stick with test and/or quarantine approach

People will complain etc but the practicality of getting things back to 'normal' may require some paperwork but this is far less onerous than the current ad hoc test/quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gertie31

Thanks for all the views folks. Much appreciated.

Advertisement