Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability allowance and bank account

Options
  • 15-02-2021 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My brother is special needs and my mam cares for him. She always received his disability allowance into her and my dad's joint account. My dad passed away a couple of months ago, and we wrote to DA giving new account details for my mam's solo account. They wrote back saying they now need an account in my brother's own name or a joint account with my mam; I don't know why they are looking for this now, considering they paid for years without any problem. My brother doesn't have a bank account and my mam doesn't want to open a new one, especially in Covid. I did mention to them in the original letter that my brother is special needs and my mam handles his money, but they just seem to have completely ignored that. Any advice here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

The legalities and procedures around this mean they are no longer do what would have been acceptable in the past unfortunately. It's about the prevention of fraud and money laundering. Some would and have taken advantage, so its a safeguard. Might be worth contacting your bank to see what arrangements they can make to open a new one with least exposure risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 volvov60

I have just tried to open a bank account for my 40 year old special needs son with AIB.

The agent told me new rules in force since January 2024 are making it a lot more difficult to open account.

My son is completely dependant and has no concept of money or what his needs are.

Any one else encountering this problem?

Advertisement