Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router with vpn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hi.
    No replies, so i went ahead and bought the TP-LINK AC 1350 router, on sale for €50.
    Scenario: work abroad without problems connecting to work systems/network remotely.

I used the included network cable to connect the TP-Link's blue port to a yellow port on the Eir router.
    The setup was straightforward and TP-Link connected to the internet without issues. I bought a month of express VPN for €13 (money back guarantee, discounts for longer periods) and followed the directions for TP-Link and the setup for "manual configuration - PPTP & L2TP/IPsec" - it warns L2TP "provide(s) weak security benefits and should only be used for anonymization or for changing locations." I tried a few different locations including Ireland (my laptop still connected to work's VPN, remote desktop and office 365). I also tried portugal on my own laptop just to see if it worked and was greeted with ryanair.com in portuguese.
    So.. happy to say i found a solution.
    Obviously, this will require a wired internet connection. More and more hotels don't wire a network and offer wifi instead and it may not be an option to run VPN software on a work laptop for example, especially one that already has VPN software installed. A 4G router that supports VPN may be an option for travellers.

I haven't tried foreign versions of netflix or other services <edit>nor do i intend to!</edit>

A more expensive router that allows configuration via OpenVPN would probably be better security-wise. My router was advertised with OpenVPN, but my understanding is that's only for use as a server to access devices connected to the router. (or something.. either way, not what i wanted it for)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mod note: We can't allow discussion of bypassing copyright limitations through the use of VPNs, so you'll need to avoid any talk of that.

Advertisement