Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Glengarriff as place to live

Options
  • 14-02-2021 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

We're thinking of potentially moving to Glengarriff. Young married couple with kids in the not too distant future most likely. I was hoping people could share their thoughts on what they think of the area as a place to live?

My main concern would be whether the village is dominated by american tourists, or does it still have a good community feel? We enjoy the quiet life but we'd definitely like to be part of a community. I imagine the area would be very quiet in the winter, but wondering do the businesses in the village stay open for the whole year? Lastly, anyone have experience swimming regularly in the immediate area (e.g. at the blue pool)? Living near the sea we'd ideally like to go swimming as much as possible and for as much of the year as possible.

Beautiful part of the country it must be said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Donatron wrote: »
    We're thinking of potentially moving to Glengarriff. Young married couple with kids in the not too distant future most likely. I was hoping people could share their thoughts on what they think of the area as a place to live?

My main concern would be whether the village is dominated by american tourists, or does it still have a good community feel? We enjoy the quiet life but we'd definitely like to be part of a community. I imagine the area would be very quiet in the winter, but wondering do the businesses in the village stay open for the whole year? Lastly, anyone have experience swimming regularly in the immediate area (e.g. at the blue pool)? Living near the sea we'd ideally like to go swimming as much as possible and for as much of the year as possible.

Beautiful part of the country it must be said.

My grandparents were from Glengarriff and my family still visit regularly. I worked during the summer holidays in various coffee shops when I was younger. One of my uncle still lives there.

From weekends and holidays there here are some of my thoughts.
    There are not too many American tourists there anymore, used to be way more 20 years ago. A lot of day business stop overs during the summer. Caseys hotel closes for Jan and Feb. Shops and pubs open all year round, pre covid.
    Swimming in the blue loo area is grand all year round, in higher tide. Tide goes out a lot when it's low. But the pier down by Eccles Hotel or from ellens rock outside the village are good for swimming.
    Not sure if that's much help

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

swim2 wrote: »
    My grandparents were from Glengarriff and my family still visit regularly. I worked during the summer holidays in various coffee shops when I was younger. One of my uncle still lives there.

From weekends and holidays there here are some of my thoughts.
    There are not too many American tourists there anymore, used to be way more 20 years ago. A lot of day business stop overs during the summer. Caseys hotel closes for Jan and Feb. Shops and pubs open all year round, pre covid.
    Swimming in the blue loo area is grand all year round, in higher tide. Tide goes out a lot when it's low. But the pier down by Eccles Hotel or from ellens rock outside the village are good for swimming.
    Not sure if that's much help

That's great, thanks for that. Would the pubs usually have a few souls in the them throughout the year? and any trad sessions in the off-season?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Donatron wrote: »
    That's great, thanks for that. Would the pubs usually have a few souls in the them throughout the year? and any trad sessions in the off-season?

There would certainly be a few in the pubs throughout the year. I am not sure about trad sessions in the off season to be honest.
    Itching to get back there once restrictions ease ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Theres only one thing to remember about Glengarriff. Avoid that "restaurant" on the main st called the Lough Avoul Inn. It used to be known as the Rainbow Restaurant. Look up the Tripadvisor reviews and you'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Theres only one thing to remember about Glengarriff. Avoid that "restaurant" on the main st called the Lough Avoul Inn. It used to be known as the Rainbow Restaurant. Look up the Tripadvisor reviews and you'll understand.

Man, those negative reviews! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement