Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use Vodafone SIRO with OPNsense as router?

Options
  • 14-02-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

I've setup my WAN as PPPoE and entered vodafone@vodafone.ie as the username, broadband as password. I've connected straight to the SIRO box. Bypassing the Vodafone router.

It's not connecting/getting an IP. Has anyone got this working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you VLAN tagging with VID10?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I've setup my WAN as PPPoE and entered vodafone@vodafone.ie as the username, broadband as password. I've connected straight to the SIRO box. Bypassing the Vodafone router.

It's not connecting/getting an IP. Has anyone got this working?

I think your username is wrong, it's the VF modem serial number @vfieftth.ie and you also need VLAN 10
    Take a look at https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057924657/1/#post111549897 for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

OK so I'm guessing that the VLAN 10 tag is to identify the ethernet frames as ones that Vodafone should handle?

I'm eventually going to be moving to Pure Telecom, still on SIRO, would that mean I'd have to VLAN tag the frames with another ID? I'll fix up the username and look into VLAN tagging in OPNsense. Thanks for helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

OK so I'm guessing that the VLAN 10 tag is to identify the ethernet frames as ones that Vodafone should handle?

I'm eventually going to be moving to Pure Telecom, still on SIRO, would that mean I'd have to VLAN tag the frames with another ID? I'll fix up the username and look into VLAN tagging in OPNsense. Thanks for helping.

Not sure on the VLAN tagging exactly but from what I've read I think VLAN10 is used by all Siro providers... Maybe someone else can confirm

I have received the Pure Telecom modem so maybe I should turn it on and see what settings it uses. I'm hoping it's more transparent than the Vodafone one as it's a Fritzbox 7530.

• Advertisement

OK it's all working thanks to your help theShire and ED E. I've posted a couple of screenshots of the configuration I used in case someone else needs it in future: https://imgur.com/a/BZKGIZ4

I'm shocked how easy it was in the end. I plugged my Proxmox server that's running OPNsense into the ONT (the WAN port ofc). Plugged my laptop into the LAN port of the OPNsense machine, added a new VLAN interface with "10" as the tag and the WAN as the parent interface, enabled it and added the username suggested with broadband as password and up everything came.

No ISP modem needed, nifty.

Advertisement