Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abdo/chest pain & nausea/vomiting, investigated, but no cause found

Options
  • 14-02-2021 10:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi - couldn't find a health forum, so posting here as it's more general.

I've unexplained pain and nausea for 3 weeks. 2 hospital admissions (different hospitals) and several investigations carried out.

Discharged with an anti-emetic, but still nauseous and vomiting.

What would you do at this point? The nausea is hell and the pain when I have it can be unmerciful.

I'm in the UK, so system over here very different to Ireland, but I'm just wondering what the hell to do now?

I haven't been a member for years, but I suspect if I detailed everything and their working diagnoses (of which there have been many), it would be disallowed for seeking medical advice - I'm not. I'm just asking where to turn now!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭notabogsnotion

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

It’s probably stress

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Could be anxiety. Could be inflammation between the ribs.

Persist with your GP for resolution.

Did you have a COVID test? Some weird weird symptoms being reported.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi - couldn't find a health forum, so posting here as it's more general.

I've unexplained pain and nausea for 3 weeks. 2 hospital admissions (different hospitals) and several investigations carried out.

Discharged with an anti-emetic, but still nauseous and vomiting.

What would you do at this point? The nausea is hell and the pain when I have it can be unmerciful.

I'm in the UK, so system over here very different to Ireland, but I'm just wondering what the hell to do now?

I haven't been a member for years, but I suspect if I detailed everything and their working diagnoses (of which there have been many), it would be disallowed for seeking medical advice - I'm not. I'm just asking where to turn now!!

Pregnancy for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Boards is not the place for medical advice.

Follow up with whomever prescribed the drugs.

Ted, that's sort of the problem - I've been discharged!! Twice!!
    I really don't want to go down the route of weekly trips to A&E and admissions.
    I was sort of wondering where would people go at this stage?

100% not pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Have you considered speaking to a vet for an alternative opinion ?

• Advertisement

Have you considered speaking to a vet for an alternative opinion ?

PMSL - I've considered a psychic at this stage!!!!

Have a heap of drink and see how you feel tomorrow.

Have been tested several times for covid and never got a result, so I presume all negative.

I'm trying to avoid giving any medical info as Ted the moderator has said no medical advice here, but in hospital A I was under the following:

Surgical
    Gynae
    Medical
    Gastroenterology

They did CT scan, several ECGs, bloods, chest xray, abdominal ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound.

Discharged with no further action required from GP

Hospital B

Surgical
    Medical

They did CT scan, chest xray, bloods, abdominal ultrasound

Discharged with follow up with surgical in 6 weeks

It's not medical advice I'm looking for on this thread, just in case I get a rap on the back of the head from a moderator. I'm asking WHERE do I go now for medical advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ted, that's sort of the problem - I've been discharged!! Twice!!
    I really don't want to go down the route of weekly trips to A&E and admissions.
    I was sort of wondering where would people go at this stage?

Have you/are you registered with a GP?
    Where did the discharge letter from the Hospital go?

A+E is as the name implies, for accident and emergency.
    Quite often once symptoms aren't life threatening, the aim is to triage, ensure no immediate threat to life and then have the patient followed up by their primary care team.

The GP is the 1st port of call for both reviewing the hospital data and assessing a path forward towards further treatment or referral.

Hope you feel better soon.

I'm asking WHERE do I go now for medical advice!

You came to the right place OP. Let AH be your doctor.

My highly qualified mother (a cleaner) suggested that it could be Long Covid (she heard it on Joe Duffy, so she's an expert now you see) - though I've never had covid (that I know of anyway!).

The thing is that there appears to be no physical cause and the pain can be a 9/10 at times. The nausea is worse than the pain. I can't wait for a follow up appointment suffering like this, as while he has stated 6 weeks, due to the way things are now, it will be 6 months at least.

It's unusual however as at Hospital B, Surgical referred/transferred me to Medical however, the follow up appointment has been requested by the Surgical consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Are you stressed? It could be irritable bowel syndrome, no test will diagnose that.

Food intolerance is another option, but you need to pester your GP to get them moving on this.

My GP is beyond useless and all they can do is refer to A&E really.

Yes - I am rather stressed actually!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Have you ever seen Alien?

Could be that.

Consultant gastroenterologist said NOT GI.

So what specialty is left??

Hard to get speaking to GP here as it's like the fastest finger on the buzzer test from 8am where they reward your ability to get through 55 calls later by having a GP call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yes - I am rather stressed actually!!!

Adrenaline can wreak havoc with your gastrointestinal tract, so maybe ask your GP about managing stress and take it from there.

I've had more tests carried out than a lab rat.

Did you have the symptoms while you were in hospital?

Nothing really wrong GI, apart from the constant nausea. Consultant gastroenterologist ruled out anything GI.

Yes, only the last day (admitted 7 days) did the pain subside somewhat - well I wasn't begging for oramorph every minute haha

Second hospital stay (discharged yesterday), I was only admitted overnight.

Yes, only the last day (admitted 7 days) did the pain subside somewhat - well I wasn't begging for oramorph every minute haha

Surely if you were in constant pain, vomiting etc. they should keep you in until they find the problem. I've no idea what to suggest tbh, seems very lax of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

Have you been checked for gallstones? My friend had them and ended up having gallbladder removed. She had nausea and chest pain, thought she was having a heart attack at one point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement