Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting kitchen a different colour

Options
  • 13-02-2021 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'd like to change the colour of my kitchen presses to a cream colour. They are brown and made from the cheapest possible wood theres a name on it I think like medonite???? But possibly not this name. It seems to have a cover that's stuck on that's coming unstuck in one small corner my question is if it's possible to paint over this stuck on covering or would it be a waste of time. Would I need to get a professional to do it or is it something I could do myself? What kind of paint would I need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Clean, sand, prime and paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mugga123 wrote: »
    I'd like to change the colour of my kitchen presses to a cream colour. They are brown and made from the cheapest possible wood theres a name on it I think like medonite???? But possibly not this name. It seems to have a cover that's stuck on that's coming unstuck in one small corner my question is if it's possible to paint over this stuck on covering or would it be a waste of time. Would I need to get a professional to do it or is it something I could do myself? What kind of paint would I need?
    It can be painted but no point if the cover has come loose. Ive seen people completely remove that covering and paint the mdf material that is under but that was not great either.
    Id say replace the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

My mam had her kitchen cabinet doors painted recently. I was very sceptical, but it turned out great. Looks like it's factory.

She had a company do them though, was not a DIY job.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

If the covering is peeling away, you can pull it off. If the covering is still intact leave it.

I have painted loads of these kitchens. It is well worth the effort. Just make sure you use the proper primer initially, and then two coats of finish paint. I usually use Ralston aqua primer and then 2 coats of Color trend water based satin.

You could probably do them yourself, depending if you have an eye for a finish. You'll also need patience amd time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

If the covering is peeling away, you can pull it off. If the covering is still intact leave it.

I have painted loads of these kitchens. It is well worth the effort. Just make sure you use the proper primer initially, and then two coats of finish paint. I usually use Ralston aqua primer and then 2 coats of Color trend water based satin.

You could probably do them yourself, depending if you have an eye for a finish. You'll also need patience amd time.

Quoted for truth! Did mine in November, the prep was the killer, it took so much longer than I expected. I consider myself a clean person but when I got up close with the grime on the doors I was mortified for myself, I’d have given them a wipe down every now and again but clearly it wasn’t enough. Then the sanding, cleaning, priming, painting, more light sanding, painting, putting the doors back on... absolute pain in the flaps. My house is tiny too so I had little or no space to leave the doors drying... if you don’t have a shed/garage maybe think about waiting until the weather twill permit you to leave them outside all day.

I was/am stony broke and had time to kill so it was the logical option but by Jesus if I could’ve afforded it I’d have just gotten someone to do it for me. That said, they turned out really well, considering it was done on a shoestring budget. I went from pine to a deep almost black purple and I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mugga123

Quoted for truth! Did mine in November, the prep was the killer, it took so much longer than I expected. I consider myself a clean person but when I got up close with the grime on the doors I was mortified for myself, I’d have given them a wipe down every now and again but clearly it wasn’t enough. Then the sanding, cleaning, priming, painting, more light sanding, painting, putting the doors back on... absolute pain in the flaps. My house is tiny too so I had little or no space to leave the doors drying... if you don’t have a shed/garage maybe think about waiting until the weather twill permit you to leave them outside all day.

I was/am stony broke and had time to kill so it was the logical option but by Jesus if I could’ve afforded it I’d have just gotten someone to do it for me. That said, they turned out really well, considering it was done on a shoestring budget. I went from pine to a deep almost black purple and I love it.

Thanks so much for all the replies after reading them I think it's too big a project for me!! I'll have to maybe get someone once lockdown is over. I have time but not d patience I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thinking of doing a similar project so thanks for the helpful posts. Once the laminate has started peeling, probably very hard to get it glued back properly,especially if chipped. I'm thinking of changing a few doors to drawers etc and you can buy replacement doors just primed. Also looking at changing worktop and wall tiles so its developing into a bigger project !!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

My other half suggested painting the doors on the units last spring. As she got bolder, it ended up with essentially a new kitchen, quartz worktop, appliances, floor tiles etc.

€12,000 later and I'm still painting the rest of the house because "it needs a freshening up".

Be careful out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Definitely take the doors off, wash, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, light sand, paint or get some company to take them all away to spray. Works out at 12-1500euro for 10 drawers and 25 doors, needless to say I done my own with rollers and a brush for 150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I basically done the same job in my house. When we just moved in back in September.
    We done it in this order.

Sand, washed down with sugar soap, primer and painted cream.

Changed handles which we got on amazon for 15 quid.
    In total it costed in around 150 euro as had to buy paint brushes and rollers and rolling trays.

See photos attached. Before and after. We just finished the floor tiles yesterday. What a nightmare of a job.

In total I spent about 1200 euro to get kitchen to this standard. From before to after.

Walls to be painted next, possibly white.

• Advertisement

I basically done the same job in my house. When we just moved in back in September.

In total it costed in around 150 euro as had to buy paint brushes and rollers and rolling trays.

See photos https://imgur.com/gallery/H79GGbC

Before and after. We just finished the floor tiles yesterday. What a nightmare of a job.

In total I spent about 1200 euro to get kitchen to this standard. From before to after.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Good work, bigmac! Not suggesting that it needs to be done, but just to say that an interiors person I follow on insta (jade.doutch) painted a similar fridge to yours. Initially before she undertook it I didn't think it was needed but now that she's finished , it's beautiful. Her's is a matte sage green now.

Meant to say about my worktops I have this DC-Fix contact stuff that I'm told is a grand job for a cheap and cheerful upgrade but I haven't gotten round to putting it up yet. A couple of friends have used it and recommend it. I had my splashback re-tiled when I was having some repairs done on the ceiling and the tilers were in doing the bathroom anyway. I will post before and after pics at the end of the week (still waiting on new handles to be delivered)

Good work, bigmac! Not suggesting that it needs to be done, but just to say that an interiors person I follow on insta (jade.doutch) painted a similar fridge to yours. Initially before she undertook it I didn't think it was needed but now that she's finished , it's beautiful. Her's is a matte sage green now.

Meant to say about my worktops I have this DC-Fix contact stuff that I'm told is a grand job for a cheap and cheerful upgrade but I haven't gotten round to putting it up yet. A couple of friends have used it and recommend it. I had my splashback re-tiled when I was having some repairs done on the ceiling and the tilers were in doing the bathroom anyway. I will post before and after pics at the end of the week (still waiting on new handles to be delivered)

Thanks Conor,

Do share the photos. We have been thinking about putting stickers over the wall tiles as budgets won’t really allow for ripping down and tiled again.

We are currently getting our floors done and apart of this was the tiles in kitchen. Dining, living room and hall are being done in Dark Walnut 12mm laminate on Monday myself and my neighbour are doing this. All skirting changed as well.
    https://rightpricetiles.ie/product/dark-walnut/

The fridge in that video looks really well but I don’t know if I can bring myself to sand my brand new Samsung fridge, it’s my baby. But worth looking into. Sage green is gorgeous we’re considering doing the walls this colour in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Don't just pull it off. Use a heatgun or very hot hairdryer to loosen it and peel it off. Saw some youtube videos explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Don't just pull it off. Use a heatgun or very hot hairdryer to loosen it and peel it off. Saw some youtube videos explaining it.

Depends on the condition I suppose, last one I painted literally fell off.

But ya, the heat gun does the tricky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Did our doors during the lockdown.

Use bin Primer. More expensive but well worth it, a little goes a long way.
    Give it two coats of primer and 2 coats of the finished colour.
    Definitely easier to take the doors off and lay them down somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mugga123

garv123 wrote: »
    Did our doors during the lockdown.

Use bin Primer. More expensive but well worth it, a little goes a long way.
    Give it two coats of primer and 2 coats of the finished colour.
    Definitely easier to take the doors off and lay them down somewhere.

I love the pictures of the kitchen changed from brown to cream exactly what I want. Is a heat gun expensive? Difficult to use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

https://www.iedepot.ie/ You'll get a decent enough one here for about 30 quid. Using is same principle as hair dryer. Don't leave in one spot too long. If you have glue residue on MDF after, that will have to come off. If a lot, use thinners and a scraper. Then sand ( gently or you'll raise the fibres)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

See photos https://imgur.com/gallery/H79GGbC

Before and after. We just finished the floor tiles yesterday. What a nightmare of a job.

Nice job and just finished similar.

Had the cheap laminate on the cabinets.
    Took it all off.
    1 coat of primer.
    2 coats of paint.

New counter and sink from IKEA
    Got nice floor tiles at a great price, and when we had a few metres square left over, herself decided to cut them into 3 and make a new backsplash.
    Went with white on the walls.

Kitchen is so much brighter because of it all

Reckon it was about €1800 all in, but took a lot of time and patience. Spent guts of 2 weeks from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Nice job and just finished similar.

Had the cheap laminate on the cabinets.
    Took it all off.
    1 coat of primer.
    2 coats of paint.

New counter and sink from IKEA
    Got nice floor tiles at a great price, and when we had a few metres square left over, herself decided to cut them into 3 and make a new backsplash.
    Went with white on the walls.

Kitchen is so much brighter because of it all

Reckon it was about €1800 all in, but took a lot of time and patience. Spent guts of 2 weeks from start to finish.

Any photos, thinking of something similar including worktop and sink from Ikea too. Anything stronger than sugar soap ? Extractor hood over hob in a bad way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement