Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive Installation

Options
  • 13-02-2021 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭

Just ordered a hive system to replace my conventional timer that has broken. Ordered a 2 channel reciever, hub and thermostat.

Ive decided to try and wire it myself. Ive looked at the wiring diagram and it seems pretty straight forward.

But just wondering should I wire the hot water on connection to the boiler and the heating on connection to the heating zone valve?

This is because the hot water will always be on regardless, but the heating will come off and on when the zone valve is activated?
    Is my reasoning correct here?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

You could do this (assuming you heating zone valve is just used currently as on/off via the stat for the zone, but doesn't call the boiler on)

Wire the MV into the CH (4) on the back plate, and the boiler call into the DHW (3) on the back plate.
    When you've completed the Hive setup, change the receiver into 'gravity mode' (hold down the DHW button on the receiver for 10-12 seconds until the green power light changes to blue = gravity mode)

So how you recover reacts then is, if you call for DHW, only that channel comes on and the boiler will fire heating your cylinder, but in gravity mode, when CH is selected, BOTH CHANNELS come on, so DHW calls the boiler on, and CH opens your zone valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

DGOBS wrote: »
    You could do this (assuming you heating zone valve is just used currently as on/off via the stat for the zone, but doesn't call the boiler on)

Wire the MV into the CH (4) on the back plate, and the boiler call into the DHW (3) on the back plate.
    When you've completed the Hive setup, change the receiver into 'gravity mode' (hold down the DHW button on the receiver for 10-12 seconds until the green power light changes to blue = gravity mode)

So how you recover reacts then is, if you call for DHW, only that channel comes on and the boiler will fire heating your cylinder, but in gravity mode, when CH is selected, BOTH CHANNELS come on, so DHW calls the boiler on, and CH opens your zone valve.

Thanks DGOBS,

That answers my queation exactly. I did wonder if I wired it that way that the heating might not come on if it was just called for by itself.

Should be simple enough then, there are 2 MV's for 2 zones but at present they are just both wired into the same switch beside the timeclock, which just switches from HW only to heating + hot water.

Advertisement