Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home sweet home

Options
  • 13-02-2021 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Can't get my head around this one.

People who live in the countryside get slated for not leaving their own area and becoming backward as a result. Possibly have never went to college and have never travelled.

Flipside is Dublin people who think anywhere outside their 3/4 km area is alien. Educated people who have seen the world and yet can't even comprehend living 10/15 kms away from home?

Discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Thought we were finally going up get an answer on what happened the cash they collected.

Disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Can't get my head around this one.

People who live in the countryside get slated for not leaving their own area and becoming backward as a result. Possibly have never went to college and have never travelled.

Flipside is Dublin people who think anywhere outside their 3/4 km area is alien. Educated people who have seen the world and yet can't even comprehend living 10/15 kms away from home?

Discuss

Some country people wouldn't stick life in the city. Traffic jams, constant noise, needing to drive several km's if you fancy fishing, pheasant shooting etc.

Many Dublin people couldn't envisage living in a town with no regular buses, a choice of one chipper and one Chinese, no facilities for the kids (might not be quite as common as years previous when a GAA club was about all they would get).

In saying that there are Dubs who seldom leave their estate let alone county. And there are plenty of country folk, young and old, who have never ventured further foreign than England, if even that. Something that aside from the skintest of junkies would be unheard of in Dublin.

Most of the world lives within 30kk of where they were born, if I recall correctly. Of course if that’s New York there’s more going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Some country people wouldn't stick life in the city. Traffic jams, constant noise, needing to drive several km's if you fancy fishing, pheasant shooting etc.

Many Dublin people couldn't envisage living in a town with no regular buses, a choice of one chipper and one Chinese, no facilities for the kids (might not be quite as common as years previous when a GAA club was about all they would get).

In saying that there are Dubs who seldom leave their estate let alone county. And there are plenty of country folk, young and old, who have never ventured further foreign than England, if even that. Something that aside from the skintest of junkies would be unheard of in Dublin.

I'm not talking about Dubs moving to the countryside, merely moving 20-30 kms outside of where they grow up. It just baffles me. I just can't understand their way of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I'm not talking about Dubs moving to the countryside, merely moving 20-30 kms outside of where they grow up. It just baffles me. I just can't understand their way of thinking

1 reason might be houses are cheaper in the countryside and accessible for single income families. Houses in Dublin are expensive and typically require two income families. A lot of dubs stay close to family for childminding supports while both parents work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭thomil

This isn't just a Dublin/Ireland phenomenon. Back in 1994 when I was a kid, my family moved from Hamburg to Prague. I remember being at my best friend's house a few weeks before we actually made the move, staying until after dinner until my mom would come and pick me up. I remember talking with them about the upcoming move over dinner. I was very excited and looking forward to the move, something my best friend's mom just could not understand. This wasn't a matter of intellect either, the parents were highly educated, and both my friend and his little sister were wicked smart as well. It just never occurred to them, particularly to the mom, that such a move would even be possible.

I think it's more a question of both life experience and mentality rather than where someone is born.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I was born in one of the largest cities in the world...I live in an average town in Ireland...
    due to work, I've "lived" in 11 countres in 29 years... Paul Young had it nailed... wherever i lay my hat, that's my home

Advertisement